Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 14, 2014

Who's Your Daddy?


Have you ever done something you’re not too proud of and regretted it profusely?  I know that I have made some decisions that I wish I never had!  I’m sure that we all have at one time (or two) in our lives!  When my wife was initially diagnosed with the early onset of Alzheimer’s back in September of 2009, there were a few individuals that actually accused me of being the one responsible for her situation.  And while this was quite ludicrous, there still have been many times since then when I have pondered if there were things over the years that I could have done better when it came to the well-being of my wife and family.
Sometimes at night I will look deeply into the eyes of my wife in a picture I captured from our dating days or the early years of our marriage and question if I always put her first in our relationship.  Did I do my best?  Did I afford her a happy and successful life?  If I answer myself honestly, I would have to say that for the most part, the answer to many of those probes would have to be yes!  In describing my wife’s attitude and demeanor over the years I would say it would be a smile on her face, words spoken in encouragement and laughter, a song of praise and thanksgiving on her lips, and the contentment in knowing that she was able to successfully complete her personal dream of homeschooling our four children through high school.
As far as the Alzheimer’s, I would call it what it is… an attack from the enemy of our souls!  I read a report from the Yahoo news page this morning that talked of the findings of a new British study describing how 1 out of 3 Alzheimer’s cases could probably be avoided and sighted seven things that increase the susceptibility of falling prey to the ravishes of the disease.  They are:
Diabetes

Mid-life hypertension

Mid-life obesity

Physical inactivity

Depression

Smoking

Low educational attainment
 

I had to laugh as I read the list because my wife’s lifestyle was in complete opposite to these activities.  She was very health conscious, has always had low blood pressure, stayed slim and trim, walked and exercised daily, never let depression have any hold in her life, didn’t smoke and has a college level education.  So, like I said, let’s point the blame where it belongs… and yield the solution over to the Living Word!
And speaking of the Living Word… John 1:1-5 talks to us about the pre-existence of this Word saying:  “In the beginning the Word already existed.  The Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (God’s Word ©)  Verses 4-5 continue declaring, “In him life lay, and this life was the Light for men; amid the darkness the Light shone, but the darkness did not master it.” (Moffatt)
When I read that last line this morning it was as if someone tossed a pail of ice water on me!  I jumped from my seat declaring: “The darkness will not master me!”  You see, according to the Word of God, we may do things we regret, but when we repent we are forgiven and are afforded a fresh start!  We don’t have to be afraid of being a bad person knowing that the darkness will not master us!  For Christ is our master (Who’s your Daddy?)… No one, no activity and no sin can be master over us as we yield ourselves to the living, loving, grace-filled Word of God!
Remember, He is greater, He is stronger, He is more freeing, more loving and endlessly filled with grace – just for you and me!  He is the Light, and the light always dispels the darkness.  So rejoice!  Don’t let the darkness lord over your mistakes, your bad-judgment calls, and allow any shortcomings to prevail over you.  Quickly turn those activities over to the Light and let Him burn off the fog of darkness that may be attempting to get the best of you.
It’s at times like this that I like to picture the Sun of righteousness arising with healing in his wings, burning off the dark lies that the enemy is trying to get us to believe!  (See Malachi 4:2) Have a great week.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting (to prevail over) today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.