Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What Place?


Over the years in the various churches we assisted at, I have repeatedly seen a reoccurring pattern where individuals or families would come into the church with zeal and excitement only to lose interest and slowly slip away from the fellowship of believers.  Many times they would re-appear at a later time and then repeat the same pattern of behavior no matter how much the staff and the congregation reached out to them.  My wife usually took a special interest in these folks.  She would make a point to talk regularly with them, invite them to all the church events, provide rides, minister to their kids and just be their friend.
But you could almost see it in their eyes.  A distracted look would begin to form and before you knew it they would be gone.  I believe that this is one thing that Jesus was talking about in John 8:37.  He said, “I know that you are Abraham’s seed, but you seek to kill me because My Word has no place in you.” (MKJV)  In the case that I am talking of, it is as if Jesus was saying, “I know that you are a Christian, but you are losing interest in fellowship with me and with believers because you have not allowed My Word to have a place in you.”
Have you ever known anyone like this?  I bet you have.  I have not only seen it in the church but also in family members and friends who just want to do and believe what seems to be best for them at the moment.  The truths of God’s Word are not first in their thoughts especially when they come to a fork in the road.  They tend to seek a natural solution first and then might consider asking God for assistance for the direction they have already decided upon.
I know that I have probably mentioned this before, but I can remember early in our marriage when my wife took some heat from church members because she talked about how she asked for the Lord’s direction in everything she did, be it grocery shopping, looking for a new dress or in ministering to our kids.  It was my wife’s demonstration of the important place that the Word of God had in her heart that became a strong foundation for my fledgling Christian walk.
So, what do you think?  What place does the Word have in your heart?  Do your words and actions demonstrate the Word, or what the world suggests?  At what point in your decision making process do you bring in the Lord?  Think about it… maybe it is time to rethink the way you think!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.