Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Bread Who Gives Life


Hello again!  It is good to be back after our whirlwind trip to Tulsa Oklahoma for our youngest son’s wedding.  And speaking of whirlwind, it definitely was an action packed, ever-moving adventure, but it was great as my wife and I got to be with all of our kids.  That is something that hasn’t happened for many years!
From early Thursday morning until we returned to the Raleigh-Durham airport on the following Sunday, it was non-stop and only seemed to slow down around eleven each night.  I have to tell you that my wife handled the whole thing like a trooper.  I don’t think that I have physically lifted her up as much as I did on this trip as I have done in the previous forty four years of our relationship.  From the mini-van taxis, to our daughter’s two cars, and in the airplane when we couldn’t get the arm of the seat up and I had to lift her up and over into the seat, my arms and back got quite a workout!
When I got up at home yesterday my joints definitely let me know that they had seen an unusual amount of work during this trip!  But it was worth every stretch of my muscles, and the current ache that is resounding through my elbows, shoulders and knees!
John 6:35 relates the time when Jesus told His listeners that “I am the bread that gives life!  No one who comes to me will ever be hungry.  No one who has faith in me will ever be thirsty.” (CEV)  As I sat back and watched everything that was going on around us at the wedding rehearsal and the next day at the reception, I found myself glowing inside as I watched our adult children performing the various tasks that were assigned to them.  I rejoiced to see that they had grown up into strong, confident and very wise adults who love the Lord, radiate self-confidence, and reach out with mesmerizing smiles that captivated those around them!
I can’t tell you how many of my new daughter’s family came up to Piper and I and spoke of their engaging smiles.  We even met one of the actors who starred in the long running Christian children’s series “Gospel Bill” (the original T.U. Tutwater to all those GB fans!) and he mentioned the same thing about me when I introduced myself to him!  So… I guess it runs in the family!  It proved that my Mom’s frequently stated quote of someone’s who had said “Smile and the world smiles with you” really works!
As I studied John 6:35 earlier today, I could see that our kids have taken this scripture to heart as their demeanor displayed the lack of hunger and thirst that a life that is “aligned” with Jesus is all about.  (See: The Message Bible’s interpretation of this verse)  And my gosh… seeing our boys in their tuxedo’s and our girls in their black dresses… well, let’s just say that I had all I could do to keep my buttons attached to my shirt!
Over the years I have heard a lot of teaching concerning the raising of your kids, but I think that in my experience, the best advice could be simmered down to two things.  The first being to teach them about who they are in Christ and then to listen to and obey the leading of the Holy Spirit.  I am not trying to just be the proud Papa here (well… maybe a little!), but express that even though our kids have had their ups and downs in their growth over the years, it was quite spectacular for me to be able to sit back and observe where they are today!
I bet my feelings over the weekend were very similar to our father God’s as He sits on the throne and observes you and me!  He knows our past and our future, but enjoys where we are today.  So rejoice along with Him today!  It really doesn’t matter how old you may be or how difficult your past has been, your present and your future can only get better as you align yourself to Him in every area of your life.  Did I mentioned how our younger son Jeremy’s friends doted over Piper?  It was simply amazing… but that’s a story for another blog!  Have a great week and keep your eyes upon Him as you keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.