Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pulled Two Ways!


The highlight of our long weekend trip to Tulsa was our younger son Jeremy and his lovely bride Aubrey’s wedding.  To me the entire event came down to the repeating of their vows.  As they held hands and looked into each other’s eyes, the love between them flowed like rivers of living water.  Then as Jeremy began to repeat the words after the Pastor and he broke down and cried… well, there was not a dry eye in the crowd… including yours truly!  Then the serendipity of the moment came to its peek when Aubrey also broke down in the reciting of her vows to Jeremy, paused and looked deep into his glowing face and slowly whispered “I love you!” before continuing on.
Let’s just say at that point in the service, the left sleeve of my white shirt was the most convenient tissue at my disposal!  Later in the day our oldest daughter and I laughed over how we gave in to the overflowing (literally!) emotions that were abounding during that portion of the ceremony!
For the last week or so I have been reading and studying about the New Testament definition of doubt.  After rescuing Peter following his moment of glory walking on the water only to become distracted by the alarming circumstances that were about him and suddenly sinking into the tumultuous waves, Jesus asked him “Why did you doubt?” (Matthew 24:31 God’s Word ©)  Robertson’s Word Pictures states that Jesus was actually inquiring as to why Peter was “pulled two ways.”
James talked about the same subject when he told his readers that “A person who has doubts shouldn’t expect to receive anything from the Lord.  A person who has doubts is thinking about two different things at the same time and can’t make up his mind about anything.” (James 1:7-8 God’s Word ©)
As I looked at Jeremy and Aubrey exchanging their vows, they were totally one in their conviction of making Jesus Christ the Lord of their marriage.  After almost thirty nine years of marriage to my lovely bride, countless hours ministering to couples who had grown apart, and witnessing the ever increasing percentage of marriages that fail, I am thoroughly convinced that this single minded focus between couples is the key to a successful, long term marriage.
I must confess that while I have vividly felt the pain of friends and family who have gone through the hardships of divorce, I cannot personally fathom how a married couple can have thoughts of mistrust, deep rooted anger or anything else but an ever-increasing loving relationship between them.  I realize that it happens all the time, but it is definitely an alien situation in view of the type of relationship I have had with my wife, practically since we started dating in September of 1970. 
I am not saying that to brag… it is just the way it has always been with us.  I’m also not implying that we haven’t had our disagreements over the years, but we always settled them in the light of the continuing single purpose of the Lordship of Jesus.  The thought of those disagreements reminds me of how our two girls were joking with me last week about how Piper would get upset with me on the first day of our vacation each year.  
After traveling for six hours and setting up camp, I was always eager to immediately go for a long hike up a nearby mountaintop or take a prolonged swim in the river.  She, on the other hand, would always try to be the voice of reason attempting to get me to take a few moments to take it easy and give my stressed out body an opportunity to unwind, as this was supposed to be a restful vacation!  Our daughters laughingly recalled many “discussions” emanating from behind the closed door of our trailer on that first day most years!
It was interesting last night when we were watching TV and a commercial came on for a rustic resort somewhere in Utah.  At the sight of couples hiking along a wooded trail, I turned to my wife sitting next to me on the couch and said, “would you like to go hiking with me again?” and she turned, nodded her head and gave me a big smile!
So what’s my point…  Single minded focus!  In any relationship as well as in any stand of faith, it is of most importance that you and I (and those who are part of a relationship with us) stay united in keeping our eyes on Jesus and the truth of His Word.  Remember, when Peter began to take notice of the physical elements around him, his miracle came to a rapid, short-lived conclusion!  I want my daily miracles to have an extended life span.  How about you?  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself, “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.