Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The “Has” and the “Is” of the Scriptures


In case you haven’t noticed, I enjoy personalizing the Word when I read it.  I probably got into that habit through my wife.  As I have mentioned before, when we began dating back in high school I was always captivated by the way that she talked about Jesus.  She related to Him not only as the Son of God, but as if He was a close and personal friend of hers!  This was a foreign concept to me and my Catholic upbringing.  I loved God and always considered myself to be a Christian, but I had no concept that this kind of relationship could exist… and I wanted what she had!  And even though it took me a few years to get there, I finally did and I’ve never been happier!
One morning a few weeks ago as I was confessing some of our healing scriptures over my wife, I found myself speaking out Matthew 14:36 with a little added personal twist to it.  It was almost as though the Spirit was prophesying through me to my wife and I saying “And as many as touch Me, as Piper has, are made perfectly whole, as Piper is!”
When I finished I had to pause as the revelation of what I had just said came to me.  It seemed as if Jesus was confirming our confession of His Word with a personal touch!  Then yesterday as I was confessing Matthew 8:17 to her at one point in the middle of the day, once again I discovered another personal twist being uttered through my lips!  When I began to speak out the scripture I suddenly felt compelled to stop and backtrack in order to explain to my wife that Jesus has taken a personal interest in her case because “He Himself took your infirmities and bore your sicknesses!”  Then I understood… God choose to get personally involved instead of sending a prophet or another qualified man or women.
Understand here… God has taken a personal interest in you and me!  I guess that is why I like to personalize the Word when I read it.  It just enhances the close, personal and loving relationship that I am ever attempting to increase with the Lord.  When I personalize it, it is like He is talking directly and privately to me… and you know… He is!
So if you’ve never tried it… try it today!  Pick up your Bible and read it like Jesus is speaking directly and privately to you.  Then see how you feel about what you just read!  It might just turn some things around for you as you realize how upfront and personal God desires to be with you.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I (personally) expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.