Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Morning After the Night Before...

Have you ever experienced the feeling of letdown the morning after your participation in a big event during the previous day or night?  This morning had all the makings for that experience for me.  It reminded me of my normal response to the multitude of special events that we put on for the church over the years.  Be it the week long Vacation Bible Schools we did for about five years running, the all-church Hallelujah Night carnivals we held as an alternative to Halloween for more years than I remember, the big production puppet show, song singing, interactive Chapel times we did for a couple of the Christian schools in our town, the all-church multi-talent Christmas productions I wrote, or the numerous youth breakfasts or dinners, and the weekend youth retreats. 

There was always that one moment at the very climax of the event, after everything was put away and everyone had gone home, when I would find myself standing alone in the quiet, vacant youth or children’s room, taking one last look around and basking for a moment in the memories of the terrific time we all had.  To me there is not too much that can beat that sense of joy and accomplishment.  Then… all too soon the reality of Monday morning would be thrust upon me.  The letdown would hit me like a ton of bricks, and off I would slump to my secular job.

After all the words of encourage and the emotional feelings of yesterday that came through the phone calls, cards, emails and Facebook messages that I received, the expected letdown today was almost a forgone conclusion.  But you know what?  It never came!  Instead I awoke with a couple of scriptures revolving through my mind and a new sense of strength for the days ahead.  One of the scriptures kept up the theme of GOOD that was very prevalent in the Word that I studied yesterday.  It is found in Matthew 5:16 and reads: “In the same way let your light shine in front of people.  Then they will see the GOOD that you do and praise your Father in heaven.”  The other was my old favorite in Proverbs 3:5 that encourages us to “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding.”  (Both scriptures taken from the God’s Word © Translation)

I awoke encouraged by the understanding that my life has had meaning in this world.  That His light has shown through me – for His glory -  to those that I have come to know (whether I realized it or not!).  I also met the new day with the realization that our job is just to trust in Him.  To not try and figure it all out for ourselves, and to not rely on our own understanding of the events in our lives.  For when we place our past, the events of today and that of our future which is yet to be written in His hands, the morning after the night before will come upon us as the morning sun breaking over a clear and beautiful horizon.

Now… did I write all this just to blow a little wind in my sails?  No!  I wrote this as an encouragement to all of you who may have to fight negative thoughts and/or personal feelings that put down your self worth.  I once read where someone said that “God don’t make no junk!”  And I want you to remember that statement of fact.  You were put here for a reason and as long as you let your light shine and put your trust in Him, whether you realize it or not… you are making a difference in many people’s lives.  So…Keep up the good work!  Have a great day.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD Things am I expecting to DO today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.