Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 2, 2012

Being Part Of The Solution

Well, it’s the end of the week, and in our neck of the woods Friday broke forth through the rainy weather that we have been experiencing with blue skies and bright sunlight!  And speaking of sunlight, I wanted to take this opportunity to shed a little more light on the subject of God’s love.  Yesterday we began to look at what I believe to be the Father’s directions for us in sharing His love with others.  Let’s take this one step further today…

I John 4:17-18 gives us a real litmus test to determine if the actions we think are taken in love toward others are correct or not.  The Merriam-Webster online dictionary states one definition of the term “litmus test” as “A test in which a single factor (as an attitude, event or fact) is decisive.”  Our scripture says that this test is centered around the single factor of “fear.”  The Gods Word translation puts it this way: “…while we are in this world, we are exactly like Him (with regard to love).  No fear exists where His love is.  Rather, perfect love gets rid of fear, because fear involves punishment.  The person who lives in fear doesn’t have perfect love.”

It’s as simple as that.  If you sense any fear when you are ministering to others, then God’s perfect or mature love is not present!  The Jamison, Fausset, and Brown Commentary says that fear has no place in love.”  The man known as the Apostle of Love made the distinct insight in I John 4:18 that fear involves punishment or torment.  Is that what we really want to put on those that we attempt to minister to?  Is that what is really going to help the hurting individuals to stand strong during the midnight hour when questioning thoughts arise? Speaking from personal experience I can unequivocally answer with a resounding NO!

I have mentioned before of some of the negative inputs that we had received during the confusing times that accompanied the initial unfolding of the changes that were going on with my wife’s health.  Those were some tough times that required some tough decisions to be made.  After much prayer we came to the realization that I needed to quit my outside job and reopen my lawn and yard care business as she could not stay at home alone any longer.  She could come with me on the job and assist where possible.  We would be together and the daily exercise would be good for both of us.  Before I left my position as a Merchandising Supervisor at The Home Depot we were able to put some money into savings and line up work with some of my former customers that I had before we moved to Oklahoma.  Although we were on a little shaky ground, we had what we believed was a firm word from the Lord as to the direction to take, and the promise that He would supply all of our needs.  (Philippians 4:19)

Almost immediately after leaving the security of the job I had, we received disparaging counsel from some close to us who openly questioned our decisions, strongly suggested moves that were opposing to doors that the Lord had already opened for us, and (now that I looked back at the ensuing months) basically told us not to expect any assistance or agreement on our plans from them.  Their words were not ones that bolstered our faith in the directions that we believe God gave to us.  In fact they could have been very detrimental to the difficult walk that lay ahead of us.  I would be fibbing if I said that their words did not try to play havoc with my thoughts when things were seemingly not happening according to our faith.  It was at those times though, when remembrances of the love that our heaven Father had demonstrated to us in the past caused me to push aside those thoughts and concentrate on Him and His faithfulness to His word.  (See: I Corinthians 10:13).

I came to the realization this morning, as I looked back over the last three years since this journey with my wife began in earnest, that just about every direction and promise that the Lord gave us to follow has come to past.  Isn’t God good!  I firmly believe that the key to receiving and to walking in His love is to keep our eyes fully focused on Him.  When we look only at the individuals that we desire to minister to, we will concentrate on their human frailties, but if we keep our attention on the Lord and His word, we will instead see and be able to trust in His abilities to work His miracles in the situation at hand.  When we are focused on Him fear has no place in which to rear it’s ugly head. 

If you find yourself being afraid for the people, then it is time to stop and get His perspective before taking another step.  As His ministers we want to make sure that our actions are part of the solution and not adding to their problems.  Remember Who your example is and “as He is, so are we (to be) in this world.”  (I John 3:17 KJV – parenthesis mine)  Have a restful weekend, we’ll be back again on Monday.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.