Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Derailment

This morning as I was studying in the Word and formulating some ideas for the blog, I was suddenly derailed from the direction I was heading.  It was like I was driving down the street and then without thinking found myself making a right turn and heading only God knows where (literally in this case!).  It was the beginning verses of Romans chapter two that sent me on the new adventure!  In this portion of scripture Paul is telling his readers the woes of judging others.  In a nutshell, he is basically informing us not to do it… especially if we do the same things that we are judging them for.

This hit home real fast as I immediately flashed back to a scene of me criticizing and complaining about the few individuals who had criticized and complained about my care for my wife and family.  Then came the real zinger as I read Romans 2:4 where it says, “Do you have contempt for God, who is very kind to you, puts up with you, and deals patiently with you?  Don’t you realize that it is God’s kindness that is trying to lead you to him and change the way you think and act?” (God’s Word ©)  Other translations say that it is the “goodness of God” that leads us to repentance.  (KJV and others…)

So… let me get this straight then.  It is not by our being critical of people, nor by us telling them where we think they have gone wrong, or by us complaining about them behind their backs that will change the way they are proceeding in life?  Hummm…. Interesting thought huh?  Paul seems to be saying that it is not by fire and brimstone that people are changed, but by the demonstration of God’s “graciousness, forbearance and the leniency” (Romans 2:4 Apostolic Bible Polyglot Version – which is based on the Greek translation of the Old Testament)

What really spoke to me this morning was the part in the God’s Word translation where it states that God puts up with you and deals patiently with you.”  If God finds it in His heart to “put up with me” then I guess that I need to find a place in my heart and “put up with others,” and to be lovingly patient with them.  After all, it is the goodness or kindness of God that leads (in the present continual sense) or better yet “gently leads” (Weymouth Translation) people to change… if needed.

Well, I am sure glad that God is gentle, patient and lenient with me.  How about you?  It would then be best to assume that if it works for Him, it will work for us… and more importantly, it will work for those with whom we desire to minister to!  So… give it a try.  See if goodness and patience overcomes criticism and complaining!  See if your demonstration of His gentle love overcomes telling them what you think is best (especially since you probably don’t know the whole situation…)!  Hummm… interesting….  Have a great day, tune into His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.