Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It Is Good!

“This is the day that the Lord has made.  Let’s rejoice and be glad today!”  (Psalms 118:24 God’s Word ©)  It is also my birthday today.  Will I rejoice and be glad?  Hummm, let’s talk about that…  Earlier in the week as I contemplated my upcoming birthday, I pondered the thought that my last couple of “special day celebrations” have not been anything to write home about!  Due to the symptoms of the AD, my wife has not been able to comprehend the idea of my birthday and the kids are all living out of town, with three of the four being out of state.

Awhile back someone had made the statement to me that I had changed since our return home after attending Bible School in Oklahoma.  As I have thought about that over the ensuing months, I’ve come to realize that it’s not so much that I have personally changed, as has my response to all that has changed around me.  Life is totally different now than it had been, and is totally different from where we had expected it to be at this place in our lives.  First and foremost is the attack on my wife’s health.  My closet friend for over forty years, the mother of our children, and my partner in both life and ministry is facing the toughest battle in (and for) her life.  On top of that, for the first time in over 30 years we are living alone without the constant buzz of activity that was always present in our home when our children were here.  Our church which is a large foundational part of our lives is also understandably different now due to the new direction, flavor and vision that the new Pastors have brought with them.  My position in the church has changed, and many of our friends who we knew and fellowshipped with for years in the church left during the time that we were gone.  And then there was the vibrant dream of returning to California to initiate the church ministry that we had envisioned for countless years that had to be shelved as we have now focused our total attention on my wife’s healing recovery.

Yes, things have changed, and with those thoughts running amuck in my head I was not too sure or expectant of what to think about as March 14th drew near.  On Monday I finally yielded everything over to the Lord and simply asked that His will be done on my birthday.  Then as my wife would always encourage us to do, I began to confess that this would be the best birthday I’ve ever had.

On Tuesday afternoon the "little miracles" (as a friend would say) began to happen.  First I received a text from my youngest daughter in Oklahoma that simply said: “Someone’s birthday is tomorrow (:”  Included with the text was a photo of their new dog with a towel wrapped around her as they had just given her a bath!  While I am not too hip as to what the symbols meant at the close of the text, I have enough insight to know that it means good things!  Then awhile later as I was looking through some boxes in the walk in closet under our staircase, I came across a baggie that had a stack of photographs enclosed in it.  As I sat down and thumbed through the pictures I was touched to observe that they were a mix of pictures that chronicled our summer vacation adventures back in 1994.  It brought back to me a clear remembrance of the many good times that our family had together while camping, going to the fair, celebrating birthdays and just goofing off around the house!

Then after I copied a few of the pics and text them off to the kids (isn’t modern technology great!) I began to receive text replies back and also received a call from our oldest daughter in North Carolina.  That night as we were finishing dinner we got a knock at the door.  As I opened the door, I burst out laughing as a couple and their son from the church stood in the pouring rain holding a cake and a balloon singing happy birthday to me!  I have to tell you… that just made my day!

Then this morning as I continued my study in I Peter chapter 3, I received the greatest gift I could ever receive.  I read in verses 13-14 and 17: “Who will harm you if you are devoted to doing what is good?  But even if you suffer for doing what God approves, you are blessed.  After all, if it is God’s will (that you are doing), it’s better to suffer for doing good than for doing wrong.”  (God’s Word ©)  It was as if the Lord was reminding me of all the good things that we have accomplished for Him over the years, and that our struggles over the last 2 years in particular have been well worth the pain, stress and effort.

After I had wrapped up my study time, I checked my email and then my Facebook account.  I was warmed and brought to tears as I read all the various birthday greetings written by friends, cousins and past students from the many children’s and youth groups we have lead over the years.  I recalled Jesus' words in Matthew 25:21 where He said “Well done thy good and faithful servant:  thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.”  (KJV)

You know there have been times when some have questioned the decisions I have made over the years.  I have even asked myself the same questions and at times pondered thoughts that leaned toward the stupidity of my actions.  But today as I read what I considered to be personal words from the Lord to me, I humbly realized that although others may have not always understood my motives, that the Lord did.  He has known my heart and even though we have faced some difficult times, we have always come through with blessings and honor due to our obedience to Him.  Isn’t God good!  Gee… I think my wife’s encouragement to us in the past that this is going to be the best birthday ever has come to past!  It truly is the best!  Thank you Lord, thank you friends and family for your warm birthday greetings, your blessings to us, and most of all for your friendship.

Now before I sign off and go and dig into that big luscious and sweet chocolate cake that was brought to us last night, I want you to know that God is not a respecter of persons. (See: Acts 10:34)  You too are loved by Him.  As He told me this morning, He is saying also to you.  So therefore receive His words and walk in joyous celebration of your life that you are living for Him.  “Well done thy good and faithful servant!”  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GOOD things am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.