Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 16, 2012

The Balancing Act

As I came to the conclusion of the book of I Peter the other day, I found myself meditating on a familiar couple of verses found in chapter five.  Here Peter states, “Turn all your anxiety (or care in KJV) over to God because he cares for you.  Keep your mind clear and be alert.  Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he looks for someone to devour.”  (I Peter 5:7-8 God’s Word ©)  It was the thought of staying clear and alert that really caught my attention.  The King James Version translates this as being “sober.”

Thayer’s Greek Definitions says that the writer was relaying the idea of being “temperate, dispassionate and circumspect.”  Webster defined an individual who is circumspect as one who is “watchful on all sides, who examines carefully all the circumstances that may affect a determination.”  This explanation immediately confirmed my role as the overseer of my wife’s care.  I could see how I have had to receive and discern all the reams of information that has been set before me, to shift through all the various inputs that have been presented from the medical profession, social workers, care organizations, family and friends, the church and finally and foundationally from the Word of God.

I now understand that it has been one great balancing act, and I am the one standing in the middle with the multitudes of weights stacked in the hands of my outstretched arms!  What I realized was that even though this may seem like an overwhelming endeavor, I actually found myself gaining a large sense of relief as I thought of my responsibilities in this way.  It made me to see that each person’s input was just one point of information that needed to be examined.  

Even though some ideas or opinions may have been presented with more force or pressure than others, it still boils down to the fact that it is just another potential piece of the puzzle to be used or disregarded when compared to the bottom line of what is best for my wife.  And as far as I am concerned, I believe that only our heavenly Father knows that answer.  My ultimate job therefore, is to listen to what is being shared, to discern if it is truthful or even plausible or not and then to present it to the Lord where I patiently and expectantly await my orders.

I think that this is also what the Apostle Peter was trying to convey to his readers.  As Christians we find ourselves under a daily bombardment of thoughts, suggestions, advice, rules and regulations that need to be discerned before we can take appropriate actions.  Our ultimate job is to seek the Lord and to do what is right.  His word (as written in the Bible and confirmed through His Spirit) is the final direction that we should follow. 

Now some of you may think this to be an impossible task, but wait… He has given you the ability to perform your responsibilities with excellence.  Remember that I Corinthians 2:16 says that we “have the mind of Christ.” (KJV) and that Peter concludes his letter to us by saying that God will “strengthen you, make you strong and support you,” as you make your way in this life.  (I Peter 5:10 God’s Word ©)

So… just think of yourself as a well trained gymnast calmly and expertly walking across the great balance beam of life!  At the end of beam you’ll easily summersault to the floor completing your dismount with your arms raised in victory, while the “great cloud of witnesses” that are compassed about applaud your winning effort.  (See Hebrews 12:1!)

Have a great weekend.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting to DISCERN today!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.