Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, July 22, 2011

Having GREAT Priorities

As I look over the posts from this blog this week, it is easy for me to discern that the key to success concerning the subject of personal revival is all about having the right priorities.  This is true for anything in this life.  Many of us get caught up making excuses for not doing certain things by saying that “Were just too busy…”  But, if we are really honest with ourselves we would see that we always make time for the things that we really want to do.

For years I found myself caught up in this spiral of thought.  Whenever I was asked how I was doing, my pat reply was “Yeah, I'm really busy!”  One day the reality of that statement hit home and I made a personal vow to stop confessing that I was too busy to do anything and to ultimately enjoy the life that God has given me to live for His glory. 

A few days ago I came across a tape of a teaching that my wife had presented to our church family at a mid-week service way back in 1998.  I popped it into our cassette player  (remember those) in the car and we listened to it on a trip to my son’s house.  I was not only reminded of the deep Biblical knowledge that my wife possesses (I would not be in the ministry today if it wasn’t for her example, patience and teaching during the early years of our marriage), but also of her attention to the priorities of our family.

At one point during our child rearing days, my wife came to me and talked about her desire to set priorities for our family, especially in the area of the best use of our family’s time together.  Like most families, our kids were involved in a myriad of activities ranging from soccer, ballet, basketball, Boy Scouts, church events, home school field trips, band, etc; as well as with the activities with all their friends in the neighborhood we lived in.  Her heart-felt desire was to prioritize and then limit their amount of activities in order to enhance the enjoyment of the things they did participate in and to preserve our family time together.

I agreed with her, so we gathered the family together, set priorities together with the kids and then chose the activities to pursue.  This action not only brought a sense of stability and peace to the family, but it also helped us to really concentrate on the things we felt led of the Lord to do.  Prioritizing made a big difference in the quality of life for our family.

How are your priorities set?  Are they set?  Do you find yourself commenting "how busy you are" all the time?  Do you find yourself at the end of the day, or the week, or the month before you know it?  Humm… maybe it’s time to PRIORITIZE your life!  And the subject that should always be at the top of the list is your growing relationship with the Master, Jesus Christ.  “But first, be concerned about his kingdom and what has his approval.  Then all these things will be provided for you.”  (Matthew 6:33 Gods Word ©)

Our kids may be literally spread across the country today, but they all have the same thing in common.  Their first priority is seeking God, and making sure that they are closely aligned with the leadings of the Holy Spirit in all that they do.  Is this something you also have in common?

God is good… not only good, but GREAT!  As we fill up on His priorities the rest of life will quickly fall into line!  Have a GREAT weekend and… Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What GREAT things am I expecting today?”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.