Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thanks, Jeremy!

Well, it was pretty tough… but we drove our youngest son, Jeremy, to Fairfield California yesterday, to spend one last day in the Sunny State with his brother, before flying back to Oklahoma on Wednesday.  To say the least, we had a wonderful time together.  It was really special to see how he has grown into a mighty young man of God over the last two years.  Jeremy graduated from Rhema Bible Training Center last month, and is planning to enroll in their third year School of Worship program.  He is a budding musician and longs to serve the Lord as a worship leader.

I was happily amazed in seeing how Jeremy ministered to his Mom over the last six days.  He had heard some negative reports on her condition from family members and was expecting to find the worst, only to discover that Mom is still there, and just needs a little extra love, care and attention!  On Saturday night, Jeremy pulled out my guitar and began to play and sing while I prepared the Barbeque.  As the worshipful sounds filled the home, (and probably the whole immediate neighborhood, as every window in the house was wide open!) my wife was drawn to the couch and the two of them sat side by side, singing for about 45 minutes!

For me, the most rewarding aspect of his visit was the ability to share with him all that has been going on in me while handling the attack on his Mom’s health over the last two years.  We talked for endless hours each day.  Jeremy greatly encouraged and uplifted me and let me know that we were all doing a good job!

The climax to every conversation, thought and action over the last few days came when my wife and I returned home after dropping Jeremy off at his brothers.  When I walked upstairs I discovered a card taped to the vanity window in our loft.  It was addressed: “To My Pops!!!”  Inside the humorous Father’s Day card, Jeremy wrote about all the things that I have meant to him over the years.  Needless to say, it was difficult to keep the emotions in check as I read the card.

Over the last two years along with everything that has happened to my wife, there have been numerous comments made from individuals questioning many of the decisions and directions that my family and I have made over the years.  Lately, I have even had my integrity, commitment and love for my darling wife attacked.  Through it all, the Lord has been very gracious, and to say the least, I have learned a lot about myself, as well as the love and faithfulness of our Heavenly Father. 

As I finished reading Jeremy’s card, I sat back in the kitchen chair in which I was sitting and just said “WOW!” as the understanding hit me.  You know… it really doesn’t matter to me what others outside of my immediate family may think or say about me, as they personally struggle with my wife’s situation.  What’s important to me is the proof (or: “fruit) of my children!

I firmly believe that every major decision that my wife and I have made over the last 36 years of marriage was decided after much prayer and the leading of the Holy Spirit.  Maybe we took a different road than was expected of us, but it has always been a path directed by the Lord.  (see Proverbs 3:5-6) I can see now, that His way is all that matters!

I would encourage each of you to learn from my lessons.  Seek the Lord with all your heart, follow His directions, and then settle it in your heart that other folk’s skepticisms will never cause you to doubt His unique and particular call on your life.

Thanks Jeremy for helping me to see my way through the smoke of the battle!  Boy, I can’t wait until I get together with both Jeremy and our youngest daughter at her wedding this September.  I bet the very gates of Hades will shake!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (GOOD THINGS) are you expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.