Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, June 20, 2011

The More, The Merrier!

Yesterday at Children’s Church we taught about two of the most famous fathers in the Bible.  First we took a brief look at Abraham, whom the Jews considered to be the father of their faith, and then we discussed God, whom Jesus introduced to mankind as our Heavenly Father.  What a concept to consider.  God as a father to every believer all over the world, all at the same time, and yet always available whenever you need Him.

As a father, I look back at the time when my children were growing up and vividly remember what seemed like the constant battle between work and family.  Most fathers (and working moms today) have to play this balancing act throughout their children’s home-time years.  Some handle it well, others not so well.  I thought that I had it tough with four kids, ballet, soccer, church activities, home school, band, field trips, special projects and so on.  But then I look at some young families today, and wonder how they do all the kids activities with both parents working.  We made the decision early in our marriage that my wife would stay at home and home school our children.  I always worked a full-time secular job besides my part-time Pastoral responsibilities.  At times, things could get pretty stressful.  If I could do it again, I definitely would have taken more opportunities for individual time with each of our children.

Our Heavenly Father, on the other hand, has the ability to spend as much time with each of us as we want!  You talk about the perfect father figure.  I asked the kids yesterday what they thought the perfect father was like, and everything they said reflected what God does for us.  Sometimes we natural fathers miss the mark, but our Heavenly Daddy is always on target.  He is never late, never forgets our birthdays or special events and always has the right words to say.

So… even if today is the day after Father’s Day, I encourage you to take a few moments with your Heavenly Dad and give Him the thanks that He alone deserves.  You do know that He LOVES to spend time with you... don't you?  Therefore, make those times with Him to be numerous and lengthy!  This is definitely one experience where we can truly say… “The more, the merrier!”  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.