Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, June 3, 2011

Bulldogs

Today was another one of those days where I found myself reviewing a particular scripture over and over again in my semi-conscious mind, during the wee hours of the morning.  It was a portion of Hebrews 12:2 where the writer states that “We must focus on Jesus, the source and goal (or finisher) of our faith.  He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace that it brought him.  Then he received the highest position in heaven…”  (Gods Word © - parenthesis mine)

In my dream like state, I repeatedly analyzed the section about Jesus’ focus on the end goal.  How the joy of His completing the strategy that the heavenly triad had planned before the beginning of time, led Him to happily go through the physical disgrace and agony so that He could initiate His role as the mediator of a new covenant for mankind.

When I awoke, I immediately went into my study to continue my research on this verse with the many translations and commentaries that I have in my possession.  I then began to get an even deeper understanding of the immensity of the sufferings that Jesus went through for you and me.  At that point I was suddenly translated in my mind back to my wife’s doctor’s appointment yesterday and a conversation that I had with the Nurse Practitioner.  She had asked me how I was doing with my wife’s situation and I encouragingly answered that I was doing well and that we were not giving up.  She looked at me with a funny little smile, paused and then went on to another subject.

What I dwelt on this morning is the possibility that I may have missed a great opportunity to explain our stand of faith on the truth of God’s Word concerning her healing.  I flopped back in my chair and had to ask the Lord for forgiveness if I missed it then, and for any other time I may have shied away from giving the glory to God.  After a few moments the warmth of His peace flooded my being and then that little voice inside directed me to 1 Peter 2:24.

This is a scripture that I know well.  In it the Apostle Peter talks of the completion of the Old Testament prophecy found in Isaiah 53:5.  Isaiah prophesied that “with his stripes we are healed” while Peter speaks of the fulfillment of the act saying “by whose stripes ye were healed.”  (King James Version)  What caught my attention was a commentary concerning the stripes that Jesus took.  Vincent’s Word Studies notates: Stripes  Lit., bruise… Only here in New Testament; meaning a bloody wale which arises under a blow. “Such a sight we feel sure, as we read this descriptive passage, St. Peter's eyes beheld on the body of his Master, and the flesh so dreadfully mangled made the disfigured form appear in his eyes like one single bruise”

This vividly descriptive scene emphasized the extent with which Jesus went in order to assure us of the myriad of God’s promises found in the Word.  The reality that dropped into to my spirit this morning was the seriousness with which we need to apply to our receiving the promises of our heavenly Father.  2 Corinthians 1:20 says “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.” (King James Version)  All the promises are for us in Jesus, for the glory of God.  What I began to see today was that many times we will take the promises for granted, or sometimes not take them at all, because we doubt His ability to fulfill His Word for us in a particular situation or time.

I would encourage you this weekend to look inside and see if any of this pertains to you.  Have there been times where you allowed what Jesus went through to be for naught in your life?  If you can answer “YES” to this question, I would suggest that you quickly make an adjustment in your thinking and determine to believe God at His Word for you.  The next time you take a step of faith, grab onto the promises you need with the tenacity of a bulldog (a former Pastor’s wife once told me that my wife was like a bulldog, when she grabbed onto a promise in the Word!) who gets a hold of a bone and not let go until you receive ALL that Jesus provided for you through His horrendous sufferings, death, burial and triumphant resurrection to the right hand of God, where He now sits in His current position as mediator and intercessor for the Church.

Isn’t God good!  Have a great weekend and stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What (good things) am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.