Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Importance Of Friendship

I had to run over to a near by store today to pick some materials that I needed to complete a job I was working on.  While I was there I saw a friend that I used to work with.  As we talked we both admitted that each of us had been thinking about the other for quite a few weeks now.  His comment was that our meeting in the parking lot must have been a “God Thing”, and I’m certain that it was.  My friend had been a big comfort and encouragement to me when my wife’s health began to degenerate about a year ago.  I was struggling to keep up with what seemed like the daily changes that were happening on my job, having to travel as much as an hour and a half one way to the various locations we worked at, and trying to keep up with my wife’s needs all at the same time.  Sometimes my Christian buddy Moses and I would just laugh… and boy, did that feel good!

Meeting with him today for the short period of time that we spent in that parking lot, brought back the pleasant memories of the hours we spent together on the job.  What I decided today was that I was not going to let our friendship drift away into an occasional passing in a store parking lot.  Even though he lives in a city about 45 minutes away, I am committing to get in touch with him and his lovely wife on a regular basis so that my wife and I can fellowship, encourage, and enjoy each other’s company!

What about you?  Do you have friends that you’ve been thinking about, but continually put aside the thoughts of calling them?  There is a scripture that says: “…a loving friend can stick closer than family.”  (Proverbs 18:24 Gods Word©)  I have learned the lesson of this scripture through seeing how different folks have dealt with my wife’s changing health.  I have been surprised and troubled when certain family members whom I thought would draw in with open arms, have instead stayed their distance, finding it very difficult to personally deal with the changes, while many friends accepted the events in stride and have surrounded us with loving kindness and concern.

So I encourage you this day to call a friend that you haven’t seen for awhile.  Make the effort to rekindle the flame of friendship that once burned brightly between you.  Maybe it means that you have to step out of your comfort zone and be the first one to make the move, but believe me, when the chips are down, you’ll be glad that you did!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself…”What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.