Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 12, 2021

Visual Verses!

I found myself reading from the 23rd Psalm this morning as I looked out onto the winter scene that was unfolding outside my study window. Little white snowflakes were twirling around in the air and had given a fresh layer to everything as far as the eye could see.  It had even covered up the tire tracks from the mail truck that literally came slipping and sliding around the cul-de-sac late yesterday afternoon.  And even though it is quite cold out there with a wind chill of 1 degree, gazing out at the picturesque beauty of the moment actually brought a sense of peace and quiet to my soul.

Which is precisely the effect that the 23rd Psalm just about always has on me!  In times of turmoil and stress, these words of David tend to soothe my concerns and flood my inner man with that “peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.” (Philippians 4:7 EMTV)

This psalm is probably the most visual of all scriptures to me.  When I read: “The Lord is my best friend and my shepherd. I always have more than enough(Psalm 23:1 The Passion Translation) I can’t help but to imagine myself sitting down as with a good friend and mentor, to whom I hold in high esteem and know that with Him I am safe and sound, and have every need of mine met and am fully satisfied.

The thought of Him offering a resting place for me in his luxurious love.  (Where) His tracks take me to an oasis of peace, the quiet brook of bliss where he restores and revives my life,” (Psalm 23:2-3 TPT) always brings me, in my mind’s eye, to Piper’s and my special place of peace, adventure and refuge that we enjoyed up in the Sierras at Plumas Eureka State Park within the serene beauty of the Plumas National Forest in northeastern California.

Another translation declares that, “You let me rest in fields of green grass…” (Psalm 23:2 CEV) which causes me to recall the very first time Piper and I held hands and walked in awe, through the vast meadow in the park on our first visit in 1976.  The gentle breeze that caused the tall grass to flutter, the surprise and sudden change of direction we took when we crossed paths with a porcupine walking our way and the silly cautions we took to not step on the bear scat at our feet, all comes back along with the utter beauty, peace, joy and young love that we experienced at that moment in time so very long ago.

The picture of “the quiet brook of bliss” brings me back to the cold, narrow, clear and rapidly flowing brook of water that runs along the trail to and from one of the historic Miner’s cabins sequestered up on a mountain side in the park.  That short but steep hike to the cabin from one of the natural lakes hidden amongst the tall pines near the headquarters and museum for the park, was a favorite hike that I have fond memories of Piper and I climbing before we had kids, throughout the years that we took our family up to the park and if I remember correctly, was one of the final expeditions that she and I took on our last vacation together during our 30th Wedding Anniversary vacation in 2005.

Do you have a favorite scripture that so vividly describes the words that it states and the truths, visions and peace that it endeavors to bring to its reader?  I think that is one of the reasons I like to collect various Bible translations… and especially some of the newer ones.  I have two favorite of these modern language translations that I find pleasing as they tend to use many of the same descriptive words and terms that I use on a regular basis!

I always suggest to new Christians or readers of God’s Word that they find a modern version that they can best understand… and through which they can hear the small-still voice of the Lord speaking to their hearts.

What is your Go-To portion of scripture that you go to in times of need?  If you think about it, share it in the comments section of this blog or on the Facebook post in which this particular blog is posted.  Sometimes our favorites can also become favorites to others!

Have a great weekend.  Enjoy visualizing the Bible as you read your favorite verses and then share them with someone that you meet… and as you do… remember to keep expecting God’s best for your life today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.