Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

ADVENTURES Ahead!

Well… it was just a little too slippery and cold for Fiver and I to go for our morning walk to the park today.  We had freezing drizzle, light snow and sleet throughout the night and even though it wasn’t too heavy of a coating… it is still enough to cause one to lose their footing and end up on one’s backside… which almost happened when I gingerly walked across my patio on my way to the frozen grass to toss the ball with the dog!  The six-foot fence around our backyard helps to block the icy wind and makes the time outside a lot more bearable!

It is on days like this where I can’t help but chuckle as I look around me and wonder how this warm weather California boy has changed his attitude!  I can recall complaining back home when the weather was in the low 50’s… and here I am, bundled up to the hilt and kind of enjoying the 9-degree wind chill factor of northeastern Oklahoma!  There’s even a chance that we’ll get down into negative numbers over the weekend.

I’ve learned some lessons through it all though… First and foremost, it helps to wear the right clothes.  Having on thermals, water proof boots, a wool watch cap and hoodie, all enclosed in a cold weather, water resistant coat helps to make winter life just another day.  Secondly and for me, most importantly, is to have the right attitude.  Since almost everything that I have been doing over the last few years is new to me, it has really helped me to think of each new day as a new ADVENTURE in faith!

Paul put it in similar terms when he encouraged the Corinthian church to stay steady and on track in their Christian walk saying, “but God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped up by Jesus.  (for) God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that.”  (I Corinthians 1:8-9 - The Message)

Knowing that God never gives up on me is all I need to know as new ADVENTURES come before me.  That 411 causes me to be “strong in the Lord and in the power of His might” (Ephesians 6:10 – KJV) as each new challenge presents itself.  It also encourages me to do my part in meeting each new ADVENTURE.

The writer of the book of Hebrews tells us what part we are to play in every new ADVENTURE that we face on a daily basis by declaring, “We received the same promises as those people in the wilderness, but the promises didn't do them a bit of good because they didn't receive the promises with faith.” (The Message)   The King James Translation says, “but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.” 

We know when we go back and read the story of the exile of the Jewish nation in the Old Testament book of Exodus, that all but two members of their generation who left Egypt with Moses didn’t make it to the promised end of their particular ADVENTURE… all because they didn’t take the Word of the Lord that was spoken to them and mix it with their faith.  So, for me, as I step out of bed each morning, I take the Word of God that I am actively believing in and walk in confident expectation and excitement, trusting that each new ADVENTURE that I face that day, will turn out precisely as the Word of God that I am standing on says it will!

I’ve discovered over the years, as I am sure that you have as well, that my personal faith in God and his Word makes each new day more palatable as I look forward with an expectant attitude of ADVENTURE and excitement… for I am assured that every “spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. (and that) He will never give up on us. (And I) Never forget that.”

What do you think about that?  What ADVENTURES are you facing today and WHOM do you know that will be at your side… all along the way?

Stay Warm and while you’re doing it, thank the Lord that His best is yet to come for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.