Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Good Memories!

I was sitting at my desk in the study earlier today when I glanced over to my left and settled my eyes on a picture of Piper and I that I had taken on one of our two-night, mid-week holidays that we took throughout the years.  After a while, I realized that I was lost in memory lane thinking about all the different places we went to, the different seasons of year we went and of the different experiences that were unique to each of those particular stays.

We started our mini-holiday adventures during the early years of our marriage at The Sea Ranch Lodge.  It was the go-to place for her parents when they wanted to get away, and the houses around the development were a favorite spot for her family’s summer vacations.  Piper and I had also gone to the Lodge for the first few days of our honeymoon. 

But as time went on, we began to look for other places like an Inn in Gualala, California, a rustic Christian run resort in the forest near the coast, further up in Mendocino County and a few other coastal resorts.  As our family grew though, we began looking closer to home and stayed at The Inn at The Tides in Bodega Bay two or three times, but soon settled into our favorite spot at the Fort Ross Lodge… where the picture I was looking at this morning was taken!

The Fort Ross Lodge wasn’t quite as fancy as the other places, but it definitely had its own, funky sort of vibe to it.  They even had a little store on the Highway where we could get essentials like toiletries and snacks as well as rent VHS videos for the in-room Video Cassette Players!  Piper and I had always been into starting new family traditions and staying here fit right into that mold.  It definitely wasn’t at the level of modern motif and refinement that her folks enjoyed.  So, it stayed unique and special to us… and we kind of liked that!

What I remembered and enjoyed the most about our mini-holidays alone, was that we could be fully, 100% focused on each other, totally undisturbed, without any interruptions.  For me… Piper was the main event… the only event (besides a little photography on our walks along the bluff over-looking the beautifully wild northern California coastline… of which she ended being in 95% of the pics!).  During those special vacations, my pleasure was to dedicate my time, energy and attention to her… and without any hesitation, I can say the same thing for her toward me!

All those heart-felt memories made me think of the Psalmist’s words written in Psalm 119:16 where David wrote from his heart declaring, “I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.” (KJV)  The connection between my memories and this particular verse is centered on the phrase “I will not forget.”  As written here, it means  “to not be oblivious to, to not ignore, to not neglect, to not lose out of one’s mind, or to not unwittingly allow a memory to go, to be ignorant of someone or something or not be unaware of someone or something.” (Strong’s in both Greek and Hebrew)

For David, his relationship with God was of utmost importance in his life.  The greatest dedication of his existence was that he not let anything nor any word of God slip away from his understanding, as well as from being a part of his daily life.  It is something he choose to continually grow within him and be the guiding light of everything he did!

And yes… while Piper’s and my times together on our mini-holidays only occurred once or twice and year, our close relationship is something that we made a priority every day of our lives.  We always made time to talk to each other, took regular walks around the neighborhoods we lived in and when time or finances were less than abundant… we’d go to a local fast-food establishment, grab a couple of burgers, find a quiet spot and enjoy a little time alone in the front seat of my Camaro… I mean what could be better than looking out over the long hood, moonlight filtering in through the T-Tops and the fragrance of leather seats… pretty romantic, right?

My point is that we never allowed ourselves to become oblivious to each other… just like we always sought to grow and develop our relationship with our heavenly Father.  Like anything else that’s special… it takes commitment, time and lots of regular effort!

When I look at the many pictures of my wife on the walls around my house, I quickly remember the close knit and wonderful relationship we had and of all the terrific times that we enjoyed together.  Likewise, when I open my Bible, I am reminded of the close knit and wonderful relationship that my Father God and I have had and will continue to develop every day!  How about you?

I hope that your day is going well and that you are continuing to EXPECT God’s Best for your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.