Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 19, 2021

Revisiting the Power!

I found the need to revisit some of the basic scriptures of faith yesterday.  Scriptures that I have learned to hold onto through the thick and thin experiences throughout my adult life.  As the sun began to break through the clouds and the freezing temperatures proceeded to rise, I found that my patience, expectations and levels of faith were going in the opposite direction!

Like I have mentioned before, while I have plenty of the basic supplies to ford this artic vortex, what I am beginning to lack is the ability to not go stir crazy!  I haven’t even been able to take the dog out for his daily walks along the golf course and down to the neighborhood park and pond. 

Today is the first day in over a week that our temperatures are forecasted to get above (barely above I might note) the freezing mark of 32º Fahrenheit.  I am hoping that the sun will melt things enough this afternoon, for us to take a walk further than our backyard or the mailbox out front… and – fingers crossed – be able to maneuver my car down my driveway and into the street without sliding, going sideways or simple spinning my tires... as the very few other cars that have ventured this far down the street have done! This latest Oklahoma weather adventure has pretty much sealed the deal for me to get serious about trading in my little Equinox for a 4X4 Chevy Tahoe.

So, where did I go when I needed to build my personal levels of faith?  Well, without hesitation, I pulled out my trusty King James Bible, turned to the highlighted, underlined and thoroughly notated verses in the book of Mark 11:22-24 and read:

“And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God (or ‘the faith of God’, or ‘the God kind of faith’).  For verily I say unto you, that whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.  Therefore, I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” 

A deeper understanding of this portion of scripture turned Piper’s and my life around at the very beginning of our marriage.  Throughout the years it had been… and continues to be a mainstay in our (my) lives.  The simple truth behind Jesus’ statement to believe that you have received what you are requesting of the Lord WHEN YOU PRAY changed the entire direction of our faith walk.

Robertson’s Word Pictures says, “That is the test of faith, the kind that sees the fulfilment before it happens.”  Wuest’s Word Studies states “The idea is that since faith is the criterion of success in spiritual matters, therefore faith should be the constant attitude of the mind when one prays.” 

Through the study of this and similar verses in the New Testament, we learned of the utmost importance and power of our individual faith in God and His Word for success in our daily lives.  Concerning the word “receive”, Vincent’s Word Studies informs us that the literal Greek translation should be “received and not receive, and list one of the meanings as “to take by craft” which gives us the connotation of “craftsmanship” or having learned the skills necessary to act out or perform our faith as an expert in the field of faith… Which means there is a right way to exercise our faith and we know it and continually sharpen our skills by consistent practice!

Which is exactly what I did yesterday when I went back to God’s handbook in order to sharpen and refocus my efforts in receiving everything that I am believing for with the absence of my wife… in the midst of a pandemic, combined with a freak snowstorm, while living in a new city, in a new state… all while trying to start a new chapter in life that is totally different from everything I’ve known for the past 50 years! 

Piece of cake, right?  Well… maybe not that simple, but walking in a level of faith that is based on my knowing of the intimate love of Christ for me, in combination with His faithfulness to me and His Word… certainly helps!  And since God is no respecter of people (Acts 10:34)… if it can work for me, it certainly can work for you!

I was thinking today of the common theme throughout the Word which infers that to the faithful in God and His Word… the best is always yet to come.  And while I have a very difficult time believing that theme with Piper’s promotion to heaven and her very noticeable absence from my life… His Word in Ephesians 3:20 does tell us to “Never doubt God’s mighty power to work in you and accomplish all this. (for) He will achieve infinitely more than your greatest request, your most unbelievable dream, and exceed your wildest imagination! (and then) He will outdo them all, for his miraculous power constantly energizes you.” (The Passion Translation)

So, if you’re anything like me… then you most likely want to… and NEED to… keep yourself constantly energized with the truth and power of His Word working in, for and through you unto others!  So, again, like me, we need to take the time throughout the day to revisit and reconnect to His truth and power by reviewing and reigniting those special scriptures that each of us have in our hearts!

Ah!  I feel better already… How about you?

Have a great weekend, stay connected to His Word and while your at it... keep expecting His best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.