Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

BELIEVER or BEGGAR?

found myself going down a rabbit trail yesterday morning during my Bible Study time.  I had been studying Psalm 91:14 where I personalized the verse and wrote down in my notes as if the Lord was speaking directly to me saying, “Because you hath set your love upon me, therefore will I deliver you: I will set you on high, because you hath known my name.” (KJV) 

I notated amongst other things, that in the Apostolic Bible Polyglot English translation with a Greek interlinear gloss that is keyed to a concordance, the word “known” is the same as used in Ephesians 3:19 when discussing our knowing of God’s love for us, and is defined as being an intimate, experiential and very personal knowledge of someone and is “The Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman.” (Thayer’s)

It was the thought of that depth of intimacy in “knowing” God that quickly pulled my attention from the book of Psalms, to the New Testament book of Hebrews, where right near the beginning of the so-called “Roll Call of Faith” the author wrote: “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6 – KJV) 

I spent the last fifteen minutes of my study time yesterday on this verse and then turned back there immediately upon sitting at my desk early this morning.  The center of my activity today seemed to focus on the utmost importance of our personal faith in our approach to God.

First of all, the verse is based on two basic truths that we as believers have to come to terms with in our Christian walk.  Number one, that we have to go to God with a deeply intimate, experiential and very personal knowledge that He is who He says that He is!

And number two, that when we come into His presence in worship, with a request, a need or in response to a promise of His to us from His Word, that we do so knowing that He will reward our diligent seeking of Him.  Why?  Because we know how intimately He loves us with a love “which goes far beyond any (natural) knowledge…” (Ephesians 3:19 God's Word ©) 

As I studied Hebrews 11:6, I couldn’t help but hear my wife’s sweet voice reminding me, as she did many times through the years in response to something I said concerning a prayer request that we had made, saying in a gently but firm manner, “Jim, remember that, WE ARE BELEVERS and NOT BEGGARS!

Piper had a clear understanding of this verse’s very clear inference that as Believer’s we have certain rights and privileges when we come to the Father in prayer.  The word “rewarder” in the original Greek is likened to a business owner paying wages to a worker who fulfills the terms of his or her employment.  The reward or wage is an expected result of the worker’s completion of the responsibilities that both the owner and employee agreed to.  Both parties have responsibilities to adhere to.

When Piper got sick, I was always very careful as to whom I would let pray for her and especially when it came to the laying on of hands.  It became pretty easy to see who was in faith for what they were praying and who was simply “a-hope-’in and a-pray-’in” for positive results!  Jesus gave us the correct model of praying in faith in Mark 11:24 when He stated, “Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.” (KJV)

I guess it all goes back to the textbook definition of what Faith is as defined at the beginning of Hebrews chapter eleven where the author distinctly declared, “Faith assures us of things we expect and convinces us of the existence of things we cannot (yet) see.” (God’s Word ©) 

Which brings us back to the overall theme of every blog post that I have written here for the last ten + years… “WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING” in your daily walk with the Lord, when you read His Word and whenever you come to Him with praise, worship, thanksgiving and/or a prayer request?

Are you just “hope-’in and a-pray-‘in” or are you earnestly EXPECTING God’s Word to be true for you?  I especially like the King James Version’s translation of Hebrews 11:6 because it brings out the clear meaning of the word “SEEK” in the statement.  Most other translations seem to miss the full intent of the writer as it strongly infers someone who very diligently and consistently puts everything they’ve got into their seeking of God and His kingdom ways.

The Passion Translation puts it into modern terms that I understand by saying, “And without faith living within us it would be impossible to please God. For we (must) come to God in faith knowing that he is real and that he rewards the faith of those who give all their passion and strength into seeking him. 

Let me tell you… I’ve seen both extremes.  Those who prayed with little to no faith and ended up depressed, fearful and in the end… totally giving up on Piper… and those who believed and acted in strong faith, stayed positive and supportive and were blessed all the way along the path up to and including Piper’s triumphant entry through the veil to her final promotion to heaven… and my friends… it ain’t over yet!

If you’re anything like me, then every time you go to God in prayer, you’ll remember Piper’s words declaring that “We are Believer’s and NOT Beggars” – Put your faith in BELIEVING mode and pray with full assurance that what you are EXPECTING will (In God’s perfect timing, plan and purpose) come into existence for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.