Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, February 15, 2021

Chilly Weather & Sound Words...

When I took the dog out early this morning my front porch thermometer read –10º and when combined with the 13-mph hour north winds, my weather app reported a windchill of -20º!  Needless to say, it’s a little on the CHILLY side out here in northeastern Oklahoma! 

Last night the swirling winds had caused the snow drifts to pile up against the back of my house and the soft snow stood a few inches above the threshold of my back storm door. After taking the dog out before bed, I took the time to clear out the snow behind the door, only to find it all filled in this morning. 

Fiver wasn’t quite sure what to do with the 10-12” depths of snow today.  He is a pretty big dog, but the snow was almost up to his chest!  He ran around for a short time but then began to hold up one of his front paws when the snow and ice became impacted between his pads.  So, we retreated quickly back into the warm house where we worked together to dry and clean out his feet!  (Him with his tongue and teeth and me with a fluffy towel)

Once we had Fiver’s needs taken care of, I eventually sat down at the kitchen table with a hot cup of coffee and stared out at the white carpet that blanketed the neighborhood outside my front windows.  As I enjoyed the view, I began to think of other experiences I’ve had in the past with snow that was this deep and even deeper at all the various church snow camps that Piper and I went on during our college years while we were dating and then as leaders with the Jr and Sr High Youth Groups after we were married.

Along with those precious memories, I also began to think about all the unique and special people that the Lord brought across Piper’s and my paths, both as individuals and as a married couple.  In 2 Timothy 1:13 the Apostle Paul told his son-in-the-Lord Timothy to “Hold to the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.” (EMTV)

As I look back over the years, I can see the various people with whom the Lord used to share His wisdom, knowledge and practical understanding with us.  Each of these folks helped to shape the foundations of what Piper and I believed, the way in which we understood the gospel of Jesus Christ, and in a very tangible way, who we became as adults in this life.  I bet that you could share many such interactions with others who helped to uniquely shape your life.

I’ve mentioned before, of how Piper, in many ways, was very different from the rest of her immediate family.  In many respects, the way she thought, the ways in which she responded to the events in life and the constant joy that bubbled forth from deep inside of her set her apart in a plainly visible way.  You could say similar things about me.  I took a very different and unique path in life that vividly differed from that of my siblings.  That is not to say that one is better than the other, but only that there are many tangible distinctions.

As I pushed forth with this line of thought this morning, I also realized that in every church that we became a part of, there always seemed to be a senior aged couple or individual with whom we became close to.  I guess both Piper and I were drawn to the example of Godly individuals who had lived a life that gave glory to God and were still going strong for Him in their elder years.

Whether it was talking to these folks after services at church, visiting them at home or in the hospital or engaging their assistance in or for a special children’s or youth program that we were organizing, we always enjoyed the company of these well-seasoned Christians.   The funny thing for me today, is that while most of these folks were older than I am right now, the differences in age are not that far from me in my sixties!

The Message Bible speaks our verse in 2 Timothy 1:13 in a way that inspires us to, keep at your work, this faith and love rooted in Christ, exactly as I set it out for you. It's as sound as the day you first heard it from me.”  This modern paraphrase encourages me to continue on with the “sound words” that those past voices in Piper’s and my lives planted in us.  I am stirred to want to carry the torch that each of these wonderful folks took the time to share with us and in doing so, become an important foundation of whom we became.

I love it when people share their very special memories of interactions they had with Piper over the years.  It warms my heart to know that her unique personality, her well-honed Christian beliefs and the joy and practicality in which she lived the gospel, ministered to others… Although, it really doesn’t surprise me… after all… I got to see her in action just about everyday of her adult life! 

And that is the same type of person that I want to be in these latter years of my life.  I want to be that example to the individual in the church who needs an ear to sound off to, to the person in the store that needs an encouraging word, as well as to the neighbor walking their dog in front of my house who looks like they could benefit from a friendly smile.

How about you?  With your unique and special background, have you ever considered what a great example you are (or can be) to those around you every day?  To that young couple who is just starting out life together in your church, to that single Mom… or Dad, or the older gentleman who looks like he’s got it made in life, but in reality, is crying out for the love of God?  Today might just be your day to be a mentor to someone in need!

For me… well, those sound words that Piper and I heard years ago are still as sound today as they were back then… and I want to share them with others… HOW ABOUT YOU?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.