Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Vacation!

I did some research this morning on the events that occurred on Wednesday of Holy Week, and it would seem that most scholars agree that the Bible is pretty quiet about what Jesus did on this day.  Many term it as “Silent Wednesday” and make the conjecture that Jesus simply took the day off to spend some final time to rest and fellowship with family and friends before the harrowing events coming up. 

For many of us the perfect day off would mean relaxing by doing something that we really enjoy like taking a ride to the beach, puttering around the garden, a trip to the mall or just spending some time on the couch watching a favorite movie or two.  As I looked at the scriptures that tell of all Jesus did that week, I personally sense that Jesus had a little something different on His mind than just kicking back and relaxing!  When you factor in His normal pattern in the past, you would observe that when things got tough, Jesus went off alone to spend time with His Father.  I think that is what Jesus did on Wednesday of Holy Week.
As I studied and thought on this today, I was reminded of Hebrews 4:2-3 where the writer is talking about our need to add our faith to the Word of God in order to enter into His rest.  Jesus knew what was coming up and the task that He came to perform for all of mankind and felt the necessity to take some time off to build up His faith so He could enter into God’s rest.  I can picture Him stealing away by Himself to fellowship alone with His Father to receive any last minute directions, thoughts, comfort, reassurance and love.
That picture of Jesus reminded me of a time a few years before we moved to Oklahoma when our Senior Pastors were away on vacation or at a convention and I was left in charge in their absence.  In the weeks leading up to the one Sunday when I was going to preach (That a great thing about being an Assistant Pastor...  Since you don’t get to preach very much, you can take a lot of time to prepare for the few sermons a year that you get to deliver to the church!), I began to sense a special message that the Lord wanted me to share.  I had been taking copious notes up until about a week before when I knew it was time to formulate my thoughts into a clear and concise, enjoyable sermon.
Before I sat down at my computer I felt the leading of the Lord to go outside and spend some time alone, away from the hustle-bustle of the family and fellowship with the Father.  So I went into the backyard with a notebook and bible and began to walk around the yard as I prayed.  That special time provided the opportunity for me to clear my head of all my worldly responsibilities and openly communicate with my heavenly Father.  He helped me to define the points that He wanted brought forth on that day, the best examples to use to help the congregation understand the lesson, and even reminded me of a few funny life experiences from my past that I could share!  When I finally went in and sat down at the computer my mind and my hands just seemed to fly as I wrote out the outline for the message.
I think that is what happened on that Wednesday many years ago.  Jesus took the time to clear His mind of everything that had been going on over the last three years and the last three days in particular and set His heart to accomplish the plan that had been put in motion before the beginning of time.  When I looked at the events of the following days leading up to Jesus’ crucifixion, I noticed that Jesus did not teach anymore from that point on.  He was solely focused on what He was sent to do for you and me!
When is the last time that you took an extended period of time to fellowship alone with your heavenly Father?  Do you remember how good it felt to be all by yourself in His presence as you let go of the pressures of the past and basked in His wisdom, comfort, reassurance and love?  Maybe it is time to schedule a new kind of vacation, one that is spent with the Creator of the universe.  The One who “so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 NKJV)  What a radical thought!  Just the kind of idea that should be considered during the days preceding Resurrection Sunday!
Have a wonderful day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.