Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 15, 2013

Extensions

We had a tradition in our family as the kids were growing up that on their birthday they could choose whatever they wanted for dinner and watch whatever movie they wanted to watch with the family that night.  I thought of that yesterday as I considered the evening’s events for my wife and I for my 60th birthday.  You may recall that we had the family celebration last week with our California kids and a friend, so last night was to be a quiet time with my wife and the pooch!

I finally decided on some pre-packaged ribs in a BBQ sauce (hey… they were on sale - & now I know why!!!) and a movie from the DIRECTV’s Pay for View line up.  Once we got all settled on the couch with my wife snuggled comfortably between myself and the dog (our 50lb lap dog!), I flipped on the TV, set it to the desired channel and was all ready to punch the “purchase” button when a note came up at the bottom of the screen that said “for information on this selection call Customer Service” and gave an extension number.
Well, needless to say, that was a bit frustrating as I was all comfy on the couch and would have to get up and find the DIRECTV Customer Service number.  The thing that caught my attention was that they gave the extension number but not the main interchange.  So, even though it really wasn’t a big deal, I chose to not hassle with the inconvenience and found another movie that I knew that my wife would enjoy that we had at home and slid it into the DVD player.  In the end it worked out to the best as I ended up talking to some people on the phone throughout the night and would have missed half the movie anyway!
The thought of that extension number stuck in my mind throughout the night though, and popped back into my conciseness early this morning while I was still in bed.  My wife was experiencing some strong jolts around 6:30 AM and as I rolled over and was gently rubbing her back while speaking the Word over her, I began to consider how we as Christians are extensions of Christ.  Just like whoever answered that extension at DIRECTV was an extended part of their Customer Service team, we are extended members of Christ Himself on this earth.
I began to speak this out to my wife during those early morning hours.  I confessed how she was an extension of the PEACE of God.  That she was an extension of the STRENGTH and of the JOY of Christ.  Then it dawned on me that she is a physical extension of His body and that His body has NO SICKNESS in it!  Jesus told us in John 15:5 that “I am the vine.  You are the branches.” (God’s Word ©)  As His branches we are one with Him just as Jesus said that “The father and I are one” later on in John 10:30. (God’s Word ©)  As branches we are connected to His vine and are direct extensions of whom and what He is.
That revelation brought an exciting peace into our room in those pre-dawn hours.  And as I continued to speak those truths over my wife she slowly relaxed, the strong jolts stopped and she slid back into a peaceful sleep until she woke up around 9:00 AM.  Then when I proceeded to help her get ready for the day she was smiling, talkative and totally cognizant of the morning’s activities.  She even had a much easier time swallowing her new medicine which she does not really care for!
What a thought to consider as we enter into a new weekend today.  I am continually amazed at how our Heavenly Father wants us to know about and act in our positions as His sons and daughters.  His is one of those close-knit families where He wants everyone to know where our position of power, peace, strength, joy and good health comes from.  He desires that our daily actions clearly and vividly demonstrate that we are branches that emanate from His vine!  That way, when we step out in obedience and faith, it is His reputation that is on the line and not ours!  You see… He has every angle worked out!  We just happen to be in a win-win situation.  Isn’t that cool!
So go forth this weekend as a physical extension of Him in all that you do and say.  Let His peace and His joy and His EVERYTHING radiate from you in every interaction.  And most of all… ENJOY it!  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.