Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Endless Possibilities!

Well, I splurged over the weekend and bought myself an early birthday present!  I had been getting a little frustrated as I have not been able to print anything directly from my new laptop computer.  If I knew I needed to print something, I would somehow figure out a way to send it to my old desktop or simply use the desktop in the study to create the needed document.  So, on Sunday I gave in and began to look online for a new printer.  The printer that we currently have was actually my older son’s when he was home, must be close to 15 years old and with its ancient technology cannot be connected to my laptop.

At first I thought that I didn’t need anything fancy, just a machine that prints documents.  I started my search with old faithful HP printers since I worked there for 20 years and have always used their printers.  But the more I looked, the more I saw that I could get for minimal increase in costs.  Boy, have things changed in 15 years!  A comparable printer that used to cost in the low hundreds of dollars can now be purchased for a fraction of the cost.
As I continued to investigate the new technologies available on the different printers, my confidence and creativity began to soar!  Suddenly my personal expectations of just a black and white document printer expanded to include photo quality printing, scanning, faxing and wireless capabilities.  I ended up purchasing a Canon wireless all in one printer.  This machine will do just about anything that I can dream up… except maybe, to make breakfast!  I can even print directly from my Canon DSLR camera and my iPhone from anywhere around the house.  There is also the capability to make digital files of the countless photos that I have taken over the years and have lost their original negatives!
I read a comment that the Apostle Paul made in I Thessalonians 2:13 this morning that reminded me of the process that increased my expectations of the new printer.  He said to the church in Thessalonica: “Here is another reason why we never stop thanking God: When you received God’s word from us, you realized it wasn’t the word of humans.  Instead, you accepted it for what it really is – the word of God.  This word is at work in you believers.” (God’s Word ©)  The King James Version states it as the word that “effectually worketh in you that believe.”  I like the 1906 translation of “The Letters of Saint Paul to Seven Churches and Three Friends with the Letter to the Hebrews” by S. Way.  He calls this word of God “The message that is still a soul thrilling power in you who believe.”
It would seem that the Thessalonian church was under a constant barrage of persecution from the Jewish leaders, but the fledgling church stayed strong by continually feeding on the word that had been given to them by Paul in his short stay with them, and with the follow up from Silas and Timothy.  It was evident from the reports given to him that Paul could see that the Word was effectually working in and through them, and was still the source of “soul thrilling power” in their lives.  The constituents of this church were having the scope of their expectations increased on a daily basis as they investigated and then took action on what the Word of God declared to them!
They were just like me and the printer.  The more I read, the more my personal expectations, confidence and creativity grew on the possibilities that I could experience with that all in one printer.  The more they understood of the Word, the more their personal expectations, creativity and confidence in the power of God working in every part of their lives expanded!  Paul said that they saw the Word for exactly what it was.  That they “didn’t pass it off as just one more human opinion, but you took it to heart as God’s true word to you…” (The Message Bible)  They actively believed it and it worked “soul thrilling” events in their lives.
And you want a bit of Good News?  The same is available to you and me today, tomorrow and forever!  (Hebrews 13:8)  Just think… if a simple printer can stimulate my expectations, build my self-confidence and set my creative juices flowing… what endless possibilities can God’s Word have on you and me?  I’d like to find out.  How about you?  Have a great day!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES am I expecting today?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.