Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, March 18, 2013

Secretariat

My wife and I watched the movie Secretariat over the weekend and I was amazed at many of the similarities of the events of the movie and of those in my own life as of late.  Most of you reading this blog today could probably say the same thing!  If you are familiar with the movie or have read the book on which it is largely based, “Secretariat: The Making of a Champion,” by William Nack, then you recall that it is a stirring tale of a women who defies all odds in the horse racing industry and against her family’s wishes and support, brings a unproven horse through to win, in spectacular fashion, the coveted Triple Crown of thoroughbred Racing in 1973.  This was a feat that had not been accomplished in 25 years to that point.

Penny Chenery was a women possessed with a focused vision that she refused to let go of.  I was brought to tears in the different scenes in the movie when her brother and husband questioned her motives, her ability and her faithfulness to her family.  All three of those subjects were also questioned by some of our family and friends as I was forced to make the tough decisions at the beginning stages of the journey with my wife’s health.  I was focused and single minded on pursuing what I believed was God’s best for my wife.
In the movie we see the family’s attitudes changing as Penny’s dream and faithfulness to her vision begin to prove true and the horse transitions into a proven winner.  At the end everyone is in agreement with her, forgiveness is asked and received and everyone lives happily ever after.  In my real life story, I also am now seeing a change of heart by most of those who did not support us a year or so ago.  As I have mentioned in past posts, just about everything that I stood for (without support) in the beginning has now come to past.  The difference between my experience and movieland is that most of my accusers act like nothing ever happened and I have not nor am expecting to receive an apology.
Yes, I was upset and genuinely hurt by the totally unexpected responses I received early on.  This was something that I had never before experienced in my life!  But you know what?  As a Christian, I was not depending on their support back then.  My trust has always been in the Lord.  Yes, I would have loved to have had their agreement and assistance, but it forced me to look solely to the Greater One, with the Greater Power to support, guide, comfort and love us through those difficult times.
Looking back now, I can see how easy it would have been for me to put my trust in people rather than establishing ourselves in the unshakable foundation of the Lord during those critical first stages.  Hebrews chapter twelve talks about things that can and cannot be shaken in this world.  Verse 28 says “Therefore, we must be thankful that we have a kingdom that cannot be shaken.”  The writer is talking about the placement of the kingdom of God in our lives.  People, places and things around us may be shaken, but God’s Word and His love will stand rock-steady in even the strongest of any natural or super-natural force that attempts to come against us.
I think that is why the Apostle Paul encourages us to “Always be joyful in the Lord!”  (Philippians 4:4 God’s Word ©)  With our trust solidly attached to Him, we can’t help but rejoice even when circumstances may look otherwise!  Keep that in mind as you begin this week.  Decide ahead of time in WHOM you have placed your unshakable trust and then simply rejoice in the Lord! – Then when people ask, let them know just why you’re so happy!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.