Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, March 8, 2013

The Birthday Party

I had a really enjoyable time this last Wednesday.  Our oldest son, his lovely wife and our two adorable and spunky granddaughters came over for an early celebration of my birthday.  It was especially meaningful to me as this was the first real family birthday party that I have had since our return from Oklahoma four years ago.  Being as my wife was always the central organizer for our family’s birthday gatherings, the occasion had sort of taken a back seat in the midst of everything that has been going on with her.

I had asked my son previous to their arrival, if they could entertain my wife while I took a quick nap before the festivities began.  I had little sleep the night before I wanted to be energetic for the occasion!  When I came in from the bedroom after a 30 minute siesta, I was visually greeted with orange and black SF Giants pennants hanging around the kitchen, matching tablecloth, dishes and napkins, and a big wrapped gift on the kitchen table.
Rain had been predicted for the day, but when we suddenly found ourselves with the sun peeking through a partly cloudy sky, my son implored me to quickly open my gift.  When I did, I discovered a brand new Wilson baseball glove!   My old (emphasis on “OLD” here…) glove was lost somewhere in the move to Oklahoma and my son and I had repeatedly talked about me getting a new mitt so we could play catch.  In the bottom of the bag there was also an orange and black Giants baseball.  So, needless to say, it did not take a lot of urging for us to grab our stuff and head for an open grassy areas near one of the playgrounds in our neighborhood.
Since it was still a little on the cool side after the rain, we bundled up my wife and she watched us play catch while our granddaughters played on the playground with a big smile on her face.  While we were there a good family/homeschool/church friend arrived and joined us for the festivities.  As I stated at the beginning, it was a very special time for me.  At one point after we arrived back home and the meal was being prepared, I stood still and just absorbed the excitement of the activities, the heightened noise of everyone talking at once, and the joy of having kids in the home again.
I guess the “empty nest syndrome” has been especially hard for me since we returned to California.  Not only are the kids all gone, but when you add my wife’s increasing quietness, the stillness can get a little overwhelming.  I am thankful for good music, phone calls, texts, emails, and Facebook conversations from our kids and good friends and our alert, barking dog who lets me know any time someone walks by our house.  But more than that, I am eternally grateful for our faithful heavenly Father who keeps me in His care, and is ALWAYS by my side.
As I read from Paul’s closing remarks in the book of I Thessalonians this morning, I was immediately filled with a deep peace and found a smile emerge on my lips as I spoke out the words: “The One who called (or invited) you is completely dependable.  If he said it, he’ll do it!” (I Thessalonians 5:24 The Message Bible)  The truth behind that brash statement goes beyond reality.  It is the ROCK that has given me the ability to go on in the midst of very trying times.  It is the LIFE of God that empowers and energizes all of us who trust in Him to overcome anything that may arise up against us.
It reminds me of an exaltation that we watched yesterday as given at this week’s chapel service at my Bible College in Oklahoma.  (Isn’t the internet cool!)  The special speaker who is a Rhema Missionary in Peru, asked the students, “Is your ‘but’ in the right place?”  He mentioned how many of us will start out a conversation talking about all the good things that God is doing in our lives and then say: “but…” and go on to complain about the temporal issues that are coming against them.
The point of his encouragement was that some of us seem to see the pressures and situations of life as being more important or even more powerful than God’s ability to do what Paul declared God would do in I Thessalonians 5:24.  The missionary climaxed his talk by demonstrating the placement of the word “but” by Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:8-9.  Here we find the great Apostle of our faith telling of all the extreme hardships that he had been through over his years of ministry, but then steadfastly and joyously declares but not crushed…, but not in despair…, but not abandoned…, but not destroyed.” (NIV)
The placement of the “but” in his speech (which originated in his heart) clearly revealed his focus on the eternal and not the temporal.  That’s why that peace and smile came upon me this morning as I read of the faithfulness of our God.  Sure I’ve been tempted to doubt, “But God…” always brings me back to my spiritual senses!  For “if he said it, he’ll do it” for me!  And He hasn’t let me down yet!
It was interesting in that after everyone walked out the door the other night, I was not left with an empty feeling, but with a fullness of love from the special time that we all had together.  I have lots of memories of fun incidents that will stay with me forever, and look forward to many similar events happening in the near future.  I also have the comfort and strength in knowing that my God is always with me, is watching over me and will “do” whatever He has promised to do for me.  The same is true for you today.  It doesn’t matter what you may be seeing with your eyes right now, for the temporal things are subject to change.  But the eternal promises of God never change and have the power to meet whatever needs you may have in your life.
Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting HIM TO DO today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.