Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Things and Times


I was listening to a sermon about God’s grace this morning and I was impressed by the speaker’s simple definition of it.  He said that grace can be considered as an overpayment.  It is an overpayment of His love, His blessings and His peace.  2 Corinthians 9:8 states that “God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things, at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”  (NKJV)

As I listened intently this morning, I suddenly sat upright in my chair and said “That’s it!”  It was as if the speaker walked into my study and physically took my head in his hands and turned my face in the direction of God’s grace.  I knew in an instant that it was the grace of God, his overpayment to my account, His abounding love that had been carrying me through the last few weeks.  From the time of my wife’s last quarterly check up, through the days of my Mom’s fall, hospital stay and her passing, I have felt like I had been operating in a cloud.  The basics of life have been getting done, all the interactions with the medical personnel for my wife and my Mom were accomplished, and the current stage of working closely with my brother and sister with the preparations for Mom’s service along with the many conversations with family and friends.

Throughout the whole confusing time I have felt a peace and a presence beyond myself.  This morning I saw that it is all through the strength of God’s abounding grace.  The difficulties of the last few weeks have been one of those “Things” and one of those “Times” that Paul described to the church in Corinth.  God’s grace has been that which has given me the ability to stay strong, and (somewhat) focused in order to complete the good works that must be faced and accomplished.  And through it all, the ups and down of my emotional state, my physical strength, and the continued care for Piper’s needs, His peace, “which surpasses all understanding” is my constant companion as well the guard of my “thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus”  (Philippians 4:7 NKJV/God’s Word ©)

Are you facing any tough times today?  Are you feeling like the pressures of life are becoming unbearable?  Then let go of them and let Jesus carry them for you.  Depend on His grace and then allow His peace to overcome you and lead you through the mine fields ahead.  Expect His grace to be more than enough for you.  For His “strength is made perfect in (your) weakness.”  (2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV)  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.