Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Light


“In the beginning the Word already existed.
 The Word was with God,
 And the Word was God.
 He was already with God in the beginning.
 Everything came into existence through him.
 Not one thing that exists was made without him.

 He was the source of life,
 And that life was the light for humanity.”  (John 1:1-4 God’s Word)

There are certain people in this world that genuinely reflect the glow of God’s light.  My Mom was one of those unique individuals.  She had the uncanny ability to make anyone, no matter their status, color, race or creed, feel special when they came into her presence.  She would immediately brighten the atmosphere of a room that she entered.  Within a matter of moments, any stranger being introduced to her would feel like an old and favored friend. 

My Mom responded to her homecoming call on this last Friday, August 17, 2012 at eleven in the morning.

I have been amazed and blessed at the same time as I have heard countless people (and even those whom I didn’t think knew her very well…) express the same words that I wrote above.  My Mom had a vivid and active zeal for life.  She loved to laugh, to sing, to dance and to play the piano.  She would often recant her memories of the popular trio that she sang with throughout her High School years.  As an adult she sang with the choir at St. Eugene’s Cathedral for over 30 years.  When my brother and I formed a rock and roll band in the late sixties, she would often times sing along with me during practices as I fronted as the lead singer of the band!  (I can see her now: “Rollin’, rollin’, rollin’ down the river…”  ♫)

I sort of feel like the Apostle John when he commented about his memories of his time with Jesus when he wrote, “If every one of them were written down, I suppose the world wouldn’t have enough room for the books that would be written.”  (John 21:25 God’s Word ©)  She was one of those Mom’s that was always there whether it was to bandage up a stubbed toe, or listening with compassion when I told her that I had been sent to the Principle’s office!

When I began to get serious with my girlfriend from High School, Mom gently counseled me to make sure that this young lady was the one that I wanted to spend my life with.  It was with great trepidation that I nervously walked into my parent’s bathroom that one night a few years later and stammered to my Mom, who was going through her nightly ritual of setting her hair, that I wanted to ask that same girl to marry me.  But once again, Mom was true to form as she burst out laughing and said “Well, it’s about time!”  Mom also enjoyed a good surprise so she quite excitedly assisted me in shopping for just the right ring so that I could surprise Piper with “The Question” and the ring.

During these last three years, my Mom has been my rock, my confidant, and my counselor as I have faced the difficult days of my wife’s battle with Alzheimer’s.  She was the only one who until a month or two ago, would call daily to inquire as to Piper’s well-being and ask what she and Dad could do to help.  She was definitely a second Mom to Piper and my wife loved her immensely. 

In the early hours of the next morning following my Mom’s passing, we experienced a very unusual thunder and lightning storm in our area.  In all my years here, I cannot recall this type of weather during the summer in the North Bay area of California.  Later that day I received a text from one of my cousins stating that she thought that the clatter from the early morning event was simply the sounds of the welcome home party that was going on in heaven for my Mom… and you know what?  It is the only explanation that makes sense for me!  I am sure that my Mother’s zeal and flare for life is only being amplified in the presence of the Lord and all the relatives and friends that have gone on before her.

We miss you dearly Mom, but the affects of your life will carry on through all whom who touched for many generations to come.

Have a great week everyone.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.