Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Giant Squash


My folks have a small framed photo of me hanging in the hallway of their house.  The photo was taken when I was in Junior High School.  (You can tell that I am dating myself as they are now called Middle Schools!) In the picture I am holding a giant winter squash over my head, while the family dog Daisy sits contently at my feet.  That home grown squash which I had proudly grown was over two feet wide!  It was just another one of the prizes that I had discovered in my Mom’s seed box.

Every year when I spread out the seeds on the picnic table (See yesterday’s blog “The Seed Box”) I would always looks for something unusual among the typical bags of zucchini, tomatoes, string beans and the like.  I was especially drawn to the yellowed, worn envelopes that had hand written names on them.  These seeds normally came from my Grandfather’s garden.  The way my Mom talked, her father’s seeds were priceless and unavailable anywhere else on the planet!  My unusual and giant winter squash in that picture was from one of those priceless batches of seeds.

God’s Word also contains many unusual and priceless seeds from our Father’s garden.  There are seeds in His Word that are truly unavailable anywhere else on the planet!  There are promises in the Word that are possible only with God.  Luke 18:27 says that “The things that are impossible with men are possible with God.” (KJV)

Do you know that I was almost an adult by the time I actually purchased a bag of seeds from a store?  I never had to buy any seeds because everything I always needed was in my Mom’s seed box.  The same could be said for God’s Word.  There are many things for which we spend countless hours and untold dollars searching for in this world that can be found by simply opening up and reading through the pages of your own seed box, the Bible!  His book contains the power it takes to give us “everything we need for life and for godliness.”  (II Peter 1:3 God’s Word ©)

God’s concluding words to those who love Him (in Psalm 91) are recorded by the Psalmist in Psalm 91:16 where it says: “With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.” (NKJV)  Remember that the Greek translation of the Old Testament word “salvation” originates from the word “sozo” meaning “To save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction, to save one’s suffering from disease, to make well, to heal, to prosper and to make whole.”  (Strong’s and Thayer’s)  That one promise alone cover’s about 99% of any need you and I might have!  And the results of that promise come only from believing in and then taking the corresponding actions of faith on the Word of God!

Is there a giant miracle (or squash!) that you need to see produced in your life today?  Then I would whole heartedly recommend that you pull out your personal seed box of faith (ie; the Bible!) and start sorting through it until you find out God’s will for your need and begin the gardening process in the good soil of your heart!  Have a good day.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep asking yourself… “What Giant SQUASH am I expecting today?”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.