Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Royal Law


I spent a few moments this morning puttering around the various plants on and around our patio.  One thing that I learned early on from my green thumb folks was the importance of staying on top of the removing of dead flowers and growth from the garden plants and vegetables.  This little trick helps not only in keeping the plants looking good, but it causes them to bloom more and stay resistant to diseases.  Being out in the cool California morning air just seems to revive my soul!  Everything looks and feels brighter, crisper and fresher.  Although He did it in the evening, it reminds me of what it must have been like when God walked through the Garden of Eden in the cool of the day with Adam.  To me it is the right thing to do each day, and besides that, it feels good to do it!  And speaking of the right thing…

One of the decisions that I have become painfully aware of throughout the journey that my wife and I have been on over the last few years, and then again with the recent emphasis that my parent’s welfare has been receiving, is the thought of doing the right thing.  The verse that has continually come to my mind concerning this is one that I happened to be studying earlier today.  James 2:8 repeats the answer that Jesus gave some religious leaders when questioned about the most important commandments to follow.  It says “If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you do well.” (NKJV)  This verse talks about what I have heard called “The Royal Law of Love.”

For me it has meant the deliberation over the question of what course of action is best for my wife verses what others may suggest is a more financially sound move.  From quitting my outside employment so that I could be the one by her side in this time of need, to living in a safe, quiet and wonderfully peaceful location instead of a noisy apartment on the rougher side of town in order to save a few bucks, the course of her medical care, sending her off to senior day care facilities that would not encourage our faith based healing beliefs, to the work I should pursue after (foolishly – or so I’ve been told…) leaving the security of my job, all of these and many other decisions have had to be answered according to the bottom line of what I would consider being the right thing to do.

It has been very interesting to me in that this question will quickly help one to determine where people’s faith stand.  Sadly I have come to discover that many seem to have their security more in their bank account than in the gospel.  That may sound like a hard determination on my account, but I can’t see any other way to put it.  Maybe I am just too simple minded, but my experiential knowledge of the love of God tells me to follow what my heart (which is inclined to and sensitive to God’s direction) is telling me is best for my wife and then trust God for the rest.  And you know what?  As I look back over the last three years I can see that this has proven to be the soundest course of action.  It definitely has not been the easiest, but it has been the best one for both my wife and I.  Taking care of my wife 24/7 and working two jobs on the side has been a little rough on me, but I would do it over again in a minute, no questions asked!

God’s Royal Law of Love states that we are to love others as we love ourselves.  In order to love yourself, you have to know how much our heavenly Father loves you.  I know that for me, without that strong foundation it would easy for me to yield to the fear that seems to come at you from every direction when faced with what the world considers as a hopeless situation.  It has come to the point where God’s promise that He will never neglect nor abandon me is permanently inscribed on my heart and in my brain!  (See Joshua 1:5)  Some people have backed away from us when we needed them most, but God never will and never has.  He has been there for me during the darkest hours and through the little (almost unrecognizable) miracles that we rejoice over on a daily basis.

It is also that intimate, ever-growing knowledge of His love for me that has helped me to continue smiling at and loving those who have disagreed and made some, shall we say, discouraging remarks about us to others.  Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Bible says that the word “Royal” in James 2:8 “is used to signify anything that is of general concern, is suitable to all and necessary for all.”  That would infer that God’s Royal Law of Love is the way that everyone should be living!  Not only is it is suitable for all, but it is something that is necessary for everyone in order to live successfully as His representatives on the earth.

I guess it comes down to something I jotted down in my notes today.  It would seem that the way that we treat people, the way that we act around people, the things that we say to people, the decisions we make for people’s welfare as well as how we think about others is all based on how much we love ourselves.  And that love is based on our knowledge of how much God loves us.

What do you think about that?  Jesus seemed to make it clear when he said it.  Now comes the hard part where each of us needs to look inside and answer the questions for ourselves.  Do I know that God love me… really loves me?  Do I trust in His love enough to be able to trust Him for others around me?  Do I really trust Him enough to take care of my health, my finances, my loved ones and my entire life?

Maybe this will help…  Psalms 5:12 in the Good News Bible says that “You bless those who obey you, LORD; your love protects them like a shield.”  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.