Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, June 22, 2012

The New Bike


As I came into my study this morning I remembered the words and emotions of praise that just seemed to flow from my heart and through my fingers as I typed yesterday’s blog entry.  That joy still seemed to be simmering in me as I turned the pages in my Bible past the book of James and began reading in I Peter 1.  I quickly noticed that Peter was describing a similar kind of joyful praise as he observed the actions of the people to whom he was writing.  He said, “Although you have never seen Christ, you love him.  You don’t see him now, but you believe in him.  You are extremely happy with joy and praise that can hardly be expressed in words…”  (I Peter 1:8 – God’s Word ©)  The New King James Version puts it as “with joy inexpressible and full of glory!”

John Gill in his commentary states that this meant “with a joy in believing on Him, which is better experienced than expressed.”  It would seem that Peter saw the people’s joy more in their actions than in their exclamations.  Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing negative about proclaiming words of joy and praise unto God as we talked about yesterday.  Sometimes it is just impossible to hold back the words that explode from the inside of you.  But I think that Peter was alluding to the thought that our praise should be more of a lifestyle than an occasional outburst of words.

How then do we live this lifestyle of joy and praise?  It’s rather simple actually…  by the smile on our face, our words of love and encouragement, by the presence of peace when things get heated around us, and by the giving of ourselves to others in times of need.  The other day I was walking out to the garages to get something out of the car.  As I came around the corner from the homes and stepped onto the blacktop, I came across a couple of small children playing in the open area.  Both of the kids sort of froze when they saw me and looked away.  One of the little boys looked to be riding a brand new bike, so as I passed by him I smiled, went down on one knee so as to be at his level and asked if he had a new bike.  At first he seemed to be taken back in that I had stopped to talk to him, but in an instant he relaxed, broke into a big smile and said “It sure is!”  I then told him how “cool” I thought the bike was, said “See ya later” stood up and went merrily on my way.

I think that the young man was visiting some friends because I have never seen him since, but the kids who live there, now tend to always smile and say “Hi” when my wife and I go by.  My small effort to befriend the children broke the ice, dispelled some fear and I am sure shared some joy and praise with those kids.  You know, now that I think about it, even their Mom seems to be friendlier to us as well! 

It is a easy as that!  That whole incident probably took an extra 30 seconds out of my “busy” life, but it sure made a timely difference in someone else’s – and in mine as well!  So what do you say?  I encourage you to make a difference in someone else’s life this weekend by smiling, by taking an interest in them, and by sharing the joy and peace of the Lord that is welling up on the inside of you!  I Peter 1:4 says that as Christians “we have been born into a new life which has an inheritance.”  (God’s Word ©)  Take the time to share that inheritance with another and “make known among the nations what he has done.”  (Psalm 105:1 – God’s Word ©)  Have a great weekend.  Stay in tune to His Word and keep joyfully asking yourself… “What GOOD THINGS am I expecting TO DO today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.