Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spice Up Your Life!

I have noticed that throughout the book of Psalms, the giving of thanksgiving is usually mentioned in connection with joyful praise.  I think that this is due to the fact that it is really difficult to spend any extended amount of time in giving thanksgivings to God before one is overtaken by joy and praise!  In my own experience it is as though you reach a place where the troubles of the moment just seem to fade away into a tangible cloud of His presence.  And like I mentioned yesterday, that is a good feeling!

When I was growing up in the family home, I can hardly ever recall a time when my Mom did not have some kind of music playing in the house.  She has always loved to sing (Believe me, I could go on and on with all the stories of her trio that she sang with in High School…), play the piano and listen to all kinds of music from classic Mario Lanza, to Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra (her High School heart throb – I think she was just as wild and crazy about him as my older sister was with the Beatles!) and other contemporary singers.  She even enjoyed and encouraged us in the different Rock bands I started in Junior and Senior High.  (That’s probably why she didn’t mind when we would bring our electric guitars and the drums into the house to practice after our neighbor would call the police due to what he called the “loud disturbing noise” emanating from our garage! --- I think that I told you that I had my first unofficial date with my wife in her hot Camaro after one of those practice sessions… but that’s another story!)

I would imagine that I gained that same love of music from her.  Music in our house today is just a regular part of our life.  The majority of the time we enjoy listening to various styles of Christian praise and worship, although we also found a great classical radio station that we’ll play in the afternoons.  Music tends to help us keep a positive atmosphere in our day.

The other day as my wife and I were sitting quietly at the kitchen table, I decided that we needed to spice up our morning attitudes.  The very upbeat music (actually kind of Rock and Roll… I still enjoy a good loud electric guitar solo occasionally!) that was playing just wasn’t doing the job.  So I began to exuberantly read from our 100 plus healing scriptures list.  It was really kind of interesting because my wife quickly tuned in to my antics and began to verbally exclaim her agreement after each verse.  Suddenly I read one of our favorites from Psalm 118:17 that says “I will not die but I will live and tell what the Lord has done!”  (Gods Word ©)   When I finished the last word I simply could not contain myself anymore and jumped from my seat and found myself exclaiming thanksgiving and praise to God.  While my wife did not jump up, she also went right into proclaiming her thanks unto God.  For a few moments there, it was like she was totally back to her old spunky self!

After awhile I sat back down and the two of us sort of basked in the glow that filled our home.  And I have to tell you that it was a marvelous feeling!  In fact, both of us looked at each other and burst out laughing!  It definitely was an Acts 3:19 experience when Peter exclaimed to the crowd that had gathered in astonishment over the miraculous healing  of the crippled man saying “…Times of refreshing come from the presence of the Lord.” (KJV)  That has to be why it feels so good.  When you enter into thanksgiving and praise you are drawn right in to His presence!  And nothing in the world can duplicate that experience of joy.

So if you’re feeling down or just need to add a little spice to your day, I would strongly suggest an extended time of exuberant thanksgiving and praise.  Who knows… it might just be the beginning of a whole new experience for you!  Go ahead… enjoy yourself!

 Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.