Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Final Word on Your Destiny

I received a call the other evening from our youngest son in Oklahoma.  He had just walked home from work and was interested to see how we were doing since we hadn’t spoken to each other for about two weeks.  I enjoy our conversations because the subject will always eventually turn to “Well, what has the Lord been showing you lately?”  It is uncanny the amount of times that our answers to that question are the same! 

This week as we talked the conversation kept coming back to the central theme of knowing God’s love for you.  We discussed how the level of one’s personal faith is dependent upon the depth of their understanding of the love that God has for them individually.  Then we went on to share personal experiences in this vain.  This conversation came back to me earlier today…

The morning scripture lessons that the Lord has been giving me between 4:00 and 6:00 AM have gotten to be a regular event for me lately.  Today’s theme centered around Moses’ command to “be strong and courageous”  (Joshua 1:9 - These words from the Lord were actually a repeat of all that Moses had commanded Joshua before his death in Deuteronomy 31)  As I meditated on this phrase, I realized that in keeping with our week long look at fulfilling our destiny, that these words were spoken to Joshua right before he set off to advance the calling on his life.

Later on I continued with this direction by studying out those two words through my various Bible translations, concordances and commentaries.  One of the descriptions for the term “strong” as used in the old Hebrew language was “to seize.” (Strong’s) As I meditated on that for awhile, the Lord seemed to indicate to me that in particular, it meant “to seize the moment” by taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves to you at a particular time.

John Gill stated that Moses’ command was intended to move Joshua “to show greatness and strength of mind, valor and courage, and not be dismayed at the number and strength of the enemy.”  (John Gill’s Exposition on the Entire Bible for Joshua 1:6)  One of the definitions for the word “courageous” that Strong’s explained was “to harden,” meaning to harden your resolve against outside influences, distractions and negative words spoken against you.

In concluding our theme for the week, I would like to submit to you the idea of how we need to be confident and secure in our calling and therefore in God’s love toward us in His desire for us to succeed in this life.  There will always be those people, places and things that will disagree with you in your quest.  Some may even be convinced that they know more than you and take upon themselves the personal mission to discourage you and to “set you straight!”  This, I believe, is precisely what Moses was forewarning Joshua about.  Moses knew from personal experience that obeying the word of God was of greater importance than even the voices of those close to him.

And what was it that motivated Moses to keep moving along the path that God had called him to follow, even when everyone was murmuring against him?  It was his close personal relationship to God and his unyielding knowledge of His love for him.  Recently as I sat in one of my favorite prayer places at the bottom of our staircase late one night, I found myself questioning God as to why some have seemingly abandoned my wife in her greatest time of need.  The only answer that He gave to me pointed not to those causing the infraction, but to His consistent, unquestioning love for her.  Basically He informed me that while others may let go, that He is ALWAYS there no matter what the time, place or need. That He would NEVER abandon her.

That was a breaking time for me.  No more would I have reason to look at what I may perceive as the faults in others in their response to her, but only to our loving heavenly Father and His overwhelming care for us.  At that point, between the tears, I knew that no matter how difficult the future was, that I – NO WE – would be able to make it through this “valley of the shadow of death” (Psalms 23:4 – KJV) and on to complete the vibrant purpose that my wife and I were meant to share.

This is also the determination that you must resolve to have as you persevere to complete your destiny.  I was reading that the “Targum of Jonathan” which is an Aramaic translation
of the Hebrew Bible written or compiled from the Second Temple period until the early Middle Ages, translated the end of Moses’ command to his protégé in Joshua 1:9 where it says that “The Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Gods Word ©) as “for thy help is the Word of the Lord thy God.”  (John Gill on Joshua 1:9)

While many will try to “help” you along your God-given quest in this life, the one input that you would be best to secure your way is the word of God.  And this solid foundational truth is to be based on “Christ’s love which goes far beyond any knowledge.”  (Ephesians 3:19 Gods Word ©)  Have a great weekend, stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?” 


PS:  I will be taking this Monday (which is the President's Day holiday here in the USA) off, so I will see you again on Tuesday.  Enjoy your holiday!

1 comment:

  1. "I would like to submit to you the idea of how we need to be confident and secure in our calling and therefore in God’s love toward us in His desire for us to succeed in this life."

    This line for me is so powerful. I love that he has plans for not just me, for for me to impact the world around me, through me.
    This is the most exciting part of discovering our destiny in Christ. How wonderful he is to love us so much.
    When we gather our courage we "gird up" and get ready for what is to come. Putting on the full armor of Christ everyday and walking out into the world ready to stand as a rallying point for the lost the hurt and the dying.
    I don't know why I get so excited reading this, but I really do. I call it "geeking out" and unfortunately I do it often. God is so good. Thank you for sharing this and continue to remind us to be expecting everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.