Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

HELP!

Well, I got to put into practice what we talked about yesterday. How about you?  Did the opportunity present itself to give thanks to the Lord even though it was the furthest thing from your mind?  I sure did, and it just happened a few minutes ago!

After breakfast yesterday, I noticed that we were just about out of the cereal that my wife usually has for breakfast.  To be honest, I forgot to get some when I did a little bit of shopping on the previous day and did not really want to go back to the same store again.  After lifting the matter up in a short prayer, I felt that it might just be a good time to try something different for her breakfast.  She is eating better now and has been having the same breakfast for months.  So I figured that we would try some pancakes and scrambled eggs.

Well… all went okay for the first few bites and then she decided to not open her mouth again!  My immediate reaction was somewhat uncharacteristic for me as I began to get irritated with her. (This was probably because I was feeling a little guilty for not going back to the store yesterday!)  For one fleeting moment the thought of flying a dish across the room flashed through my mind. I quickly came back to my senses though, and thought how stupid that action would be.  After all it’s not her, but the symptoms of the attack of the devil on her mind that is causing her to not respond clearly.  With that understanding I swallowed hard, calmed myself down and asked the Lord for some HELP!

With almost split second timing everything I shared with you in the blog yesterday came floating into my mind.  I kind of chuckled to myself and then quickly began to verbally thank the Lord that my wife was enjoying her breakfast.  Then I offered her another forkful and she opened up her mouth and savored the bite.  This process continued (thanksgiving and eating, thanksgiving and eating…) for awhile until she just about finished everything on her plate.

You know… life would be a lot more peaceful and enjoyable if we could just do what the Lord asks us to do in the first place!  Many times we use the giving of thanks as the tool to get us through the problem that we brought upon ourselves in the first place!  It reminds me of Jonah in the belly of the whale.  After disobeying God and getting swallowed by the whale, we find the prophet of God repenting and offering “sacrifice to you (God) with songs of thanksgiving.”  (Jonah 2:9 Gods Word ©)  And just as with my experience this morning, the way of escape presented itself and everything worked out okay!  Thank you Jesus!

I am so thankful to God for His unending and extravagant love for you and me.  He just keeps on keeping on with His actions of love toward us when we come to our senses, yield to Him and offer up the sacrifices of Thanksgiving.  Keep that truth in the forefront of your thoughts today as you will probably get to take advantage of it!  Have a great day.  I’ve got to get to the store to buy some more Safeway brand shredded wheat…  Stayed tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.