Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Patience - part two

Yesterday I began to share a few thoughts about patience with you.  I described some of my successes and mentioned that there were also some areas that I’m still working on.  Let’s take a peek at one of those opportunities today.

If you recall, the first part of Webster’s original 1828 dictionary definition of the word patience is centered around the suffering of afflictions with a ”calm and unruffled temper,” and “endurance without murmuring.”  This has been one of the toughest lessons I am learning in this journey of faith around my wife’s health issues. I have mentioned numerous times in the course of this blog about a few family members who have made some, shall we say, not too encouraging accusations about me, in the course of their reaction to the situation.

The emotional drama associated with those comments have been a challenge for me to deal with.  I never realized all the thoughts that can go through a person’s mind when a trust is broken.  As I read the word I can clearly see how the Lord wants me to respond in this situation, but I have to tell you, the doing hasn’t been as easy as it probably should be!  I have repeatedly found myself in the act of forgiving only to have the thoughts reappear a little while later.

What finally clinched it for me occurred when I read the story of Jesus’ return to His hometown of Nazareth after His temptation in the wilderness.  One of the important things to remember is that this was at the very beginning of His public ministry.  The story as related in Luke 4:14-28 tells how Jesus went into His home church, read a prophecy from the book of Isaiah and then shared how it was fulfilled that day in Him.

It is interesting to note that Jesus understood that the people would doubt Him and then make accusations against Him.  He bluntly stated to them that “A prophet isn’t accepted in his hometown.”  (Luke 4:24 – Gods Word ©)  He also recalled a couple of stories of how similar things had happened to Elijah the prophet.

The part that really spoke to my heart though, was Jesus’ response to the people’s hurtful words and drastic actions.  (Remember this was His home church filled with family and friends!) The story ends with the simple statement “But Jesus walked right by them and went away.”  That was it!  He did not come back with some clever arguments to prove them wrong and justify himself.  I’m sure He just gave them a loving smile and calmly walked right through the midst of them.  If I read it right, He never spoke of it again in any way.  No criticizing words or complaints made about the incident later to His disciples.  No “poor me” reactions, just forgiveness and love.  His eyes were fully focused on His dedication to His calling and the need to walk in love.

That put an end to my inward battle.  My focus is now centered on what I am called to believe and do according to His word.  That’s all that matters.  I desire His will to be done “in earth as it is in heaven.”  (Matthew 6:10 – King James Version)  His will is to walk in love and forgiveness.

I want to be part of His plan… how about you?  Is there someone whom you need to forgive so that you can be free to be (an example of) and to accomplish His plan in your life?  If you remember the end of story, Jesus’ family became strong believers and important leaders in the church after Jesus went back to heaven.  The book of James was written by Jesus’ brother who had become the leader of the Jerusalem council.  When Peter, Paul and the rest of the leadership of the early church confronted issues that needed clear direction, they went to James for the decision. (See Acts 15) If Jesus had acted out in self defense at the beginning of His ministry, they might have taken a different path.

No matter what insignificant accusations are made toward me, I want my actions or reactions to lend themselves to the growth of the gospel message in the lives of the very ones that I am close to.  I think that is why Jesus’ way is called the “Good News!”  Many times patience is the direct connection to that way of life!  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What Good News am I expecting to be a part of today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.