Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Coming Home

I had a tough time staying asleep last night.  I’m not sure if it was because of all the pent up emotions from the pressures of going to my wife’s doctors appointment in the City yesterday or not, but I just never really fell into a deep peaceful sleep.  It’s also kind of funny because it seemed like our dog was also quite restless.  With the colder nights, she has been sleeping at the foot of our bed.  She actually starts at the foot and then by morning has worked her way up the bed so that she is snuggled warmly between my wife and I!

Last night she seemed to be changing positions throughout the night.  During one of these episodes, I rolled over and looked at the clock, observing that it was 1:32 am.  The dog had stood up, turned around and then jumped off the bed.  She went and made herself comfortable on the floor in a corner of the room.  Mind you now, I had purchased a large doggie pillow for her to sleep on, but she refuses to use it as a bed, but instead as a large toy to drag around the room!  Anyway… I thought it to be unusual that she had jumped off and began to wonder how long it would take her to return to the soft, warm bed.

That time came exactly twenty minutes later at 1:52 am!  Once she had re-established herself against my legs, I chuckled to myself and suddenly began to think about how this was similar to those who walk away from God, only to return at a later point in time.  My thoughts were not necessarily centered around those who turn away from God to live a deviant lifestyle, but to those who just get distracted with the events of life. For some it’s the demands of their jobs, for others it’s keeping up with all their kids activities, it can be just about anything.  Countless events can act as a hook to pull our focus away from the things of God, and the peace that only His love can give us.

I know that for me, it can be easy to allow myself to dwell on the few (very few!) people who have pulled away or even against us throughout the fight of faith for my wife’s health.  Paul tells us to let God’s peace “guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus” and to “keep your thoughts on whatever is right!”  (Philippians 4:7-8 Gods Word ©)  When we get distracted and drift away from God, His peace can no longer guard us.

But be of good cheer for Romans 8:38 says “that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love…”  (Gods Word ©)  I firmly believe that God’s reaction to us when we come to our senses and come running back to Him are the same as when our dog returned to the warm, cushy bed in the wee hours of the morning today.  I’m sure that He chuckles inside with the knowing love that only a father can have and understand and welcomes us back with open arms.

So don’t let pride or fear keep you from coming home into the arms of our loving heavenly Father, for He is eagerly and lovingly awaiting your return to Him.  Stay tuned and keep asking yourself… “What am I expecting today?”  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.