Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Monday, July 20, 2020

Treasure


You got to love living in Oklahoma!  I just came in from mowing the front lawn.  I went out about 10:00 AM and the temperature was in the low 90’s with 54% humidity.  As I look at my temperature gauge now, about an hour and a half later, the heat index makes it to be 99 degrees.

As I stood at my workbench while restringing my string trimmer when about half-way through the job, with the garage door open and fan blowing, I was literally pouring sweat down my forehead, arms, legs… and embarrassingly… down my shorts… WHOA!  I sure don’t remember that happening in California (but I do in North Carolina… Okay… maybe not the shorts part…)!  But you know… I still love mowing lawns and being outdoors, no matter how warm it gets!  People at the Home Depot store that I used to work at in Tulsa, would shake their head at me because when given the choice, I always opted to work in outdoor garden rather than being stuck in the air-conditioned indoor section of the department.

There is just something about being outdoors.  That is why I took Piper outside every day, no matter what the weather was… both summer and winter… up to the week before she moved through the veil to her heavenly home.  She as well as me, shared a love for the great outdoors!

I spent a considerable amount of time yesterday reading about “treasure” in my Bible as well as online.  What first caught my attention was a scripture in Matthew 6:21 from my Passion Translation where Jesus stated: “For your heart will always pursue what you value as your treasure.”  That thought brought back all kinds of memories of Piper’s and my life together from the beginning days to the very end.  We learned very early on that we treasured God and His Word.

Hopefully you pick up when reading my blog posts, that we got pretty excited when it came to stepping out in faith by putting our total trust in His Word while believing for certain needs to be met, asking for wisdom and knowledge in the midst of difficult situations, and even for the little… what some might consider to be mundane things… like which pair of shoes should I get?  I had to laugh the other day when I went with my youngest daughter and her family to Bass Pro to get a new pair of hiking boots. 

While looking at the shoes on display, I leaned over to JoAnna with a big smile and pointed out a pair of Colorado boots for women.  I remembered that soon after Piper and I got married we went to a sporting goods store to get us some boots and we each returned with a pair of Colorado brand shoes.  Well… as good as they looked on our feet… they ended up being terrible!  You know how you reason that they’ll get more comfortable with use?  Well, these didn’t!  I eventually wore mine out despite the weight and discomfort, but Piper wore hers just a few times and they sat in the bottom of the closet ever since.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they are packed in one of the boxes still unopened in my back bedroom!  Needless to say, we got better at hearing the Lord’s voice for clothes and shoes after that!

Throughout our years in ministry at the various churches we served in, we learned about all the different kinds of “treasure” that people pursued in their lives.  Most were good and added value to their lives, but every-so-often, we’d come across some folks who followed some very destructive pursuits that needed to be addressed.

I have often times written about how different individuals reacted when faced with the physical reality of Alzheimer’s with Piper.  There were times when it was very easy to see where people’s “treasures” were.  Those who actively treasured God as their hope in the midst of the situation seemed to be drawn to us… to Piper.  They’d stop in the store or parking lot, doctor’s office, at church or at a family gathering and talk to her or me and encourage us. 

While others who either knowingly or unknowingly treasured something of value other than God, tended… in stark words… to RUN from us!  I can’t tell you how many times people suddenly changed directions with their cart in the aisle of the grocery store when they saw us, or turned their heads in order to avert making eye contact with Piper or me or crossed the street when we were out for one of our daily walks!  Sometimes, it was so obvious that I’d burst out laughing from the absurdity of it!

After I studied the scripture for a while, I went online to read about great treasures hidden around the world, famous treasure hunters and about some of the supposed treasure curses that were associated with particular treasures.  It would seem that there is a whole world of individuals who spent their entire lives and fortunes looking for “treasure.”  From what I read, it is not uncommon for individuals who pursue the discovery of these treasures and the potential gain of untold riches, to eventually catch the” “treasure fever” and do anything and go anywhere for the chance of discovery!

Can you imagine what it would be like if each of us caught the “treasure fever” for God and the associated gain of the discoveries found within the promises of God?  WOW!  That sure excites me… HOW ABOUT YOU?

I must admit after all these years… that the building of that excitement in you, is the precise reason I write this blog!  Piper and I loved to live on the edge when it came to the excitement found in the “treasure” of God’s Word that we continually stored in our hearts.  And even though she has found the eternal treasure trove within the veil of heaven… and I am still here… my excitement for Him and His Word stays aflame and HOT!* 

I hope that you have a GREAT week and keep pursuing the treasures found in GOD and His Word!

*PS:  And the one nice difference about being HOT for God and HOT in Oklahoma, is that I don’t have to keep changing my wet shirt when studying His Word… as I did this morning when I came in… Finding your “treasure” in God is a lot more pleasant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.