Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

I'm Surrounded!


All I can say is “WOW!”  You wouldn’t think that having your yard totally enclosed could make such a difference… but I am here to tell you that it does!  It gives a completely different feel to the area and to me… seems to make it larger than it is… or was when we had a clear view into our two neighbors’ yards!

My new surroundings made me think about what it is like to be surrounded by God, by the truth and promises of His Word, His Loving kindness and by His saving strength.  In Psalm 140:6 the Psalmist joyfully declares, “O Lord, you are my God and my saving strength! My Hero-God, you wrap yourself around me to protect me. For I’m surrounded by your presence in my day of battle. Lord Yahweh, hear my cry. May my voice move your heart to show me mercy.” (The Passion Translation)

I keep saying this… and may be beginning to sound like a broken record (that may be an example that is foreign to you youngsters out there – ask someone over 40 what it means!) but, over the last bunch of years, I’ve faced some seemingly unfair and extremely difficult situations… and at times… mountains that seemed un-movable!  But through it all, we witnessed doors opened, favor extended, financial needs met, and physical, mental, emotional and spiritual strength received when there just didn’t seem like there was anything more to give.

Why… well, simple stated: From the beginning of our relationship in high school, Piper and I chose "to live our lives within the shadow of God Most High, (and made Him) our secret hiding place, (thereby trusting that) we would always be shielded from harm. (So) how then could evil prevail against us or disease infect us?” (Psalm 91:9-10 The Passion Translation)  I guess you could say that we came to a place where we EXPECTED our faith in God and His Word to always prevail in our lives.

John 1:1,5 states that, “In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was the source of life, and that life was the light for humanity. The light shines in the dark, and the dark has never extinguished it.” (God’s Word ©)

Okay, Okay… Stop right here and read the above verses over and over until it hits you!  John is telling us in these portions of scripture that the Life of Jesus Christ is the Light of mankind… the Life and the Light for YOU and ME!  ***AND*** that His Light shining in and through YOU and ME shines in the dark places we may go through in our daily lives ***BUT*** the darkness CANNOT extinguish it!  WOW!  WOW! and WOW again!

In other words, in the midst of any hard, troubling and dark situations in your life, the Light of Jesus Christ, through His Word, will ALWAYS end up dispelling the darkness and shine brightly in your life again!  That’s how I could get up everyday with expectation in my heart during the final eight years of Piper’s earthly existence.  Even though everything looked pretty hopeless and dark… I still saw HIS LIGHT shining in and through our lives.  I knew, that I knew that no matter how things turned out in the natural realm… that we had God’s victory! (See: Philippians 1:21)

It’s also how I get up every day right now without her physical presence at my side.  I know Him, I know how much He loves me, and I know that He still has a plan and a purpose for my life on this planet!  How do I know… Because “…He’s my Hero-God, the One Who wraps Himself around me to protect me. For I’ve learned that I’m surrounded by His presence in my day of battle.”  (Psalm 140:6)

From now on, when Fiver and I go out back and visually enjoy the new fence surrounding us, I’ll be ever reminded of how God and the truth of His Word surrounds me with His presence!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.