Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, September 18, 2014

The 87 MPH Strike!


I have always enjoyed watching the ceremonial tossing of the first pitch at the beginning of a Major League Baseball game.  It is not so much for the pomp and circumstance of the moment but to see if the one being honored with the toss can make it all the way to home plate!  Many times the throw falls short and the motion by the deliverer is awkward and humorous.  Of course there are always exceptions to this, like the time last year when Colin Kaepernick, the quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, tossed an 87 mile an hour strike to the surprised catcher.  I think most others tend to be surprised at the 60 feet, six inches distance from the mound to the plate.  It takes much more arm strength and effort than most would imagine.
This analogy goes along with Peter’s teaching on “Casting all your cares upon him, for he careth for you.” (I Peter 5:7 - KJV) Another translation instructs us to “Turn all your anxiety upon God…” but I feel that the “Casting” terminology is more accurate.  When you cast something it takes more of a deliberate thought and dedicated effort to accomplish the task.  After you throw a hard pitch all the way to home plate, you know that you have accomplished something!
Following the casting of your anxieties, cares or worries over to the Lord, the next verse encourages us to “Keep your mind clear, and be alert.  Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he looks for someone to devour.” (I Peter 5:8 – God’s Word ©)  After I read this earlier today, I immediately thought that these instructions could be taken as: “Cast all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you.  For this helps you to keep your mind clear and to be alert and thereby enables you to be aware that your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, as he looks for someone who has an open door for him to step through and devour!”
Worry and/or anxiety cause one to not think nor act in a clear and decisive manner.  It can confuse you and lead you to make hasty and most times, incorrect decisions.  I Peter 5:6 initiates the action of “Casting your cares upon him…” by declaring that we must first “Humble yourselves…”    Vincent’s Word Studies says that “Pride is at the root of most of our anxiety.  To human pride it is humiliating to cast everything upon another and be cared for.”  On the other hand, I have also experienced over the last few years in my casting the care of my wife’s health over to the Lord, that it sometimes disturbs others when they see you at peace in a stressful situation.  They view your response as not caring or feel like you’re immature or naïve because you are not overly worried or anxious about the need.
And of course… I initially handled their accusations like a strong man of God (NOT!) and I got angry at them!  Not because they doubted my faith, but that they doubted that I loved my wife enough to do something about it (as far as they could see).  But I kept my mouth shut and stood my ground on the foundation of my faith in God and His Word and you know… Now they act like nothing ever happened!  In fact one of these same folks even said something complementary about me in a birthday card to my wife that we received the other day.
Like I said though, it takes a definite decision and corresponding actions of faith to cast that care upon the Lord, and then to trust Him enough to not take it back when things don’t seem to be working out as you may have imagined they would.  Last night I found myself getting anxious about something when I heard that soft, still voice inside of me say, “Haven’t you prayed and given that worry over to me already?”  And when I answered “Yes” the voice replied, “then that anxiety is a lie and you should believe that I have already taken care of it!”  So I laughed, nodded in agreement and I let it go!
So… do you ever find yourself taking back cares that you have already prayed about and given to the Lord?  My advice is to tap your glove, wind up and then toss that anxiety as an 87 mile an hour strike back to the Lord!  Then, turn around and walk away when you hear the umpire yell to the accuser of the brethren… “You’re out!”
Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.