Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Cookies...


I had to smile this morning when I went in to our bedroom to help my wife get up for the day.  She had her chin comfortably resting in the palm of hand and had a most content look upon her face.  I on the other hand, was not very content when I awoke a few hours previous to this time.  I did not have the best night’s sleep as my wife had some difficulties around 2:00 AM and I was up and awake for about an hour or so tending to her needs.
Then I had awoke around 7:00 to the sound of the dog’s tags jingling.  When I sat up I discovered her head buried in the bottom shelf of the bookcase near the window in the room.  She had pushed out about ten books and was intent on removing the source of whatever had caught her attention… probably one the black or red crickets that frequent the area!  But alas, I was in no mood for her antics!  I was intent on getting one more hour of rest and didn’t want the pooch to wake up my wife who had finally settled into a peaceful sleep.
Mandie finally retreated from the bookcase after I gently called her name a few times, but returned about five minutes later.  I tried my best to fall back asleep but was not successful in my attempts.  So I begrudgingly got up, walked over to the dog who was still busily engrossed in the back of the shelf and pushed her backside with my foot!  The gentle nudge got her attention and she slinked away.  I must admit, at that moment my thoughts were not the most encouraging… more likely on the side of condemnation!
After I got myself dressed and had a few sips of Starbuck’s Sumatra blend coffee, I got the dog settled on her chair in the living room and opened up the Word.  It is interesting the transformation that the living, active and light of the Word can bring to you, isn’t it?  My whole attitude began to change and I even felt a little more energetic when I finally focused in on Philippians chapter three.  Many things in that chapter stood out to me but verses eight and nine really jumped off the page where the author is talking about how everything else is worthless compared to having a relationship with Christ.
The King James Version talks of being “found in him.”  The People’s New Testament explains that “to be found in him” infers that this is “where there is no condemnation” in accordance with Romans 8:1.  Meaning that in Him we neither receive nor dish out condemnation to others.
As I was proclaiming Romans 8:1,2, & 11 over my wife last night, I was suddenly reminded of how she always sought to encourage others and do nothing that would put a spirit of condemnation on them.  I even laughingly reminisced with her about the time she gently “encouraged” me over the manner in which I had corrected one of children many years ago.  Even her rebukes could leave you encouraged!  That is when she told me of the Oreo cookie technique where when correction is needed you start with encouraging comments, gently give the correction and then end with more encouragement.
(Hummm… I was just thinking… that was before the introduction of the “Double Stuff” Oreo cookie.  Would that mean that in reference to twice the cream between the two wafers that you give double the correction??? – I’ll have to ask Piper to clarify that one day!)  Her point was that you always lead off and end with the positive so that the individual is more apt to receive the correction and left feeling good about the interaction and not upset.
In the Greek the word “condemnation” reflects “an adverse sentence or judgment.” (Strong’s)  Dictionary.com gives its modern definition as “strong censure or reproof.”   According to the Apostle Paul this is not appropriate behavior for a Born Again Believer.  In Philippians 4:5 he plainly tells us to “Let your moderation be known to all men…” (KJV)  “Moderation” describes our “appropriate or mild behavior.” (Strong’s)
Has your behavior toward other Christians always been moderate or appropriate according to that standard?  I’ve told you of how surprised I was at my own reaction of condemnation back at those who openly criticized and judged me a few years back.  My response got me to thinking about all the times I may have quietly (but not openly) done the same thing to other Christian friends or congregational members.  That self-revelation caused me to repent and change the way I thought and acted toward others when I may not agree with their actions.
Is this an easy task?  NO WAY… and I am still working on it… although I am a lot better at it now.  With this knowledge I am much less likely to immediately judge and be more apt to bless and trust the Lord for the rest!  Many of Papa God’s directions to us through His Word are very black and white and this, I believe, is one of them.  But we don’t have to try and do it alone.  Remember Romans 5:5 informs us that “God’s love has been poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, who was given to us.” (God’s Word)
He is the one to empower us to act, think and talk as the new creations that we were re-created to be!  Isn’t God good?  He’s got it (and us!) all covered.  So go out today in His strength, in His love, and with His encouragement and be His Oreo Cookie to your world.  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting to LOVE today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.