Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, April 4, 2014

Upside Down!


As I was helping my wife to bed last night I started thinking about just how long we have been together.  I calculated that we have spent more than two-thirds of our lives as best friends and constant companions.  With that I sat back on my knees and thought with a note of revelation, no wonder I feel like a rookie and more than a little lost when it comes to making all the decisions I have been forced to make without her direct input and council since the on slot of her health problems began in earnest a few years back.  Needless to say, I have NO idea what I would do without her!  Let’s face it, I have spent the best of my teen years and all of my adult life with her.  No wonder it feels at times like I am back as a seventeen year old just starting off life again on my own…
But then again, I am not starting off again… I am going on with what the Lord has firmly established in our lives!  When that young lady entered my life, she turned my whole world upside down.  Beside her extraordinarily gorgeous good looks, vivacious and joyful personality and killer smile, her undeniably intimate and personal relationship with Jesus introduced me to a vibrant, living and action-packed Christian lifestyle that would mold the model of our lives forever.  And you know what?  That hasn’t changed… and we – yes I said we! – will continue to live that life until He calls us home… which I don’t expect to happen for quite some time!
Jesus told His disciples that “we must do what the one who sent me wants us to do while it is the day.” (John 9:4 God’s Word ©)  As far as I can see, it is still the day for us to do what He wants us to do.  Another one of my favorite truths that I confess throughout each and every day over my wife and I is found in Psalm 91:16 where the Psalmist concluded one of the most powerful declarations of God’s promises of spiritual and physical salvation by proclaiming “With long life will I satisfy him (the one who puts their trust in the Lord), and make him to behold my salvation.” (Jewish Publication Society Bible)  The Jubilee Bible interprets this fact as “and show him my saving health.”
With verses like that I can’t help but be an optimist when it comes to the future plans the Lord has for my wife and I!  With our upcoming move I find myself being forced to deal with a few individuals who are emotionally overtaken as they have it in their heads that they will never see my wife again.  And even with my repeated assurances that this is just another of many more steps to come in the Lords plans, my encouragement seems to fall on deaf ears.  Their response definitely draws a parallel to the man that Jesus healed when the Jewish leaders repeatedly asked him about the reality of his healing and he finally stated with a hint of frustration, “I’ve already told you, but you didn’t listen…” (John 9:27 God’s Word ©)
Like I said, my world has been upside down now for over 43 years.  Our focus is on Jesus and the truth of His Word, and that folks, is evidently upside down from how many others see things in their lives!  It reminds me of the sermon that our Pastor from our home church in Oklahoma taught on Wednesday night about those who are “blown by the wind and tossed by the sea.” (James 1:6 God’s Word ©)  One minute they are dishing us, the next they tell us how much they love us and now they are overcome with sadness at the thought of our departure.  It seems that a life that is not anchored in the intimate knowledge of God’s love for us will cause people to doubt Him and His Word and allow them to be tossed about with the wind and waves that the natural world around us may present.
Well, I choose to be anchored firmly on the unfailing truth of God’s Word.  How about you?  My ship may be tossed around in a storm like the one that is currently buffeting my wife’s brain, but when it blows over (and it will – as we relentlessly stand on the truth of God’s Word) we’ll still be sitting at anchor in the harbor of God’s all-encompassing love!  Now… if that truth doesn’t fill you with hope, than I don’t know what will!  Remember what the formally blind man said: “But I do know one thing.  I used to be blind, but now I can see.” (John 9:25 God’s Word ©)  Have a great weekend!  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Who’s LOVE am I expecting to be anchored on today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.