Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Out of the Box


Well, it looks like I am at the point on the schedule of events of our upcoming move to begin to focus on the actual packing of our stuff!  With most of the physical logistics of the move nailed down, I have found myself thinking about boxes!  I had already ordered some and have collected quite a few over the last few months.  But as I looked at an unopened flat stack of them leaning against our bedroom wall, I began to wonder if I’ll need more.
As I thought about this yesterday, I did a little inventory in my mind concerning the various sizes and shapes of the boxes I now have on hand.  It is kind of interesting that you can get just about any configuration of box that you might need for any particular item you might have.  Our movers are even supplying special packaging for my wife’s piano, our Grandfather clock and for a plate glass table top that we have.
This morning as I continued to study from John chapter ten, I started thinking about boxes once more.  In speaking about Himself, Jesus told His follows that “He calls his sheep by name, and leads them out of the pen.” (John 10:3 God’s Word ©)  It would seem that He also had boxes on His mind!  When I read the end of this statement I practically jumped out of my seat with the thought that Jesus was talking about stepping out of the box (or boxes) that we had been living in without Him.  WOW!
You’ve most likely heard me talking about how some good meaning folks had given us some advice concerning my wife’s situation that came across to us as very limiting in its scope and depth.  It was kind of like the “My way or the highway” philosophy.  In their way of thinking, their way was the ONLY way and what we were attempting to do was simply out of their comprehension.  It seemed to us that this particular area of their life or of their Christian belief was limited by the box of their personal experience and/or understanding.  I believe that I saw some agreement to those thoughts through what Jesus was talking about in John today.
Do you know anyone like that?  Do you have any areas in your own life that are limited by the size or configuration of the box you have placed them in?  I have to admit that in my observations of and reactions to these people’s boxes, that I have painfully discovered a few of my own!
John 10:4 adds a little interesting twist to the discussion.  The King James Version says “And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.”  Thayer’s tell us that the original intent of the idea of “putting forth” implies “to lead one forth or away somewhere with a force which he cannot resist.”  Vincent’s Word Studies says that this phrase “implies a constraint; as is some of the sheep were unwilling to leave the fold.”  I had the picture of some folks relinquishing their place in the comfort and security of their “box” with kicking and screaming! 
At least I’ve felt that way myself in various situations.  I discovered that I had put my reactions to some of the narrow minded and personally hurtful “counsel” into an old box that I did not want to toss out!  But you know… I’ve also learned that with time and a humble focus on God’s Word, that it is much easier to get rid of needless baggage!  You’d be surprised at all the useless things that I have tossed in the light of our upcoming move.  And the same could be said with my personal move from the confining boxes I’ve kept around in my own life!
Well… what will it be?  A life that is limited by the boxes of our personal experience or understanding?  Or the limitless adventures set before us as we step out of our pens (or boxes) and into the exceedingly, abundantly above all of a life that is fully released to God?  Yeah… you’re right!  It’s a no-brainer!  Bring it on heavenly Father!  Have a great day.  Stay in tune to His Word, and keep asking yourself… “What or Whom am I expecting today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.