Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, August 28, 2020

Stumble or Blessing?

I came across a scripture that I hadn’t thought about in a long time while doing a word search as part of my morning Bible study yesterday.  It is found in the book of Proverbs, chapter twenty-nine.  I had been following a track of thought around the ideas of the importance of our personal passion for the Word of God and the reality of having personal experiences with the heavenly bliss of God.

My interest was especially heightened because I was used to hearing and applying this verse in my life through the traditional King James Version.  During the search, I was looking through the pages of my digital copy of the much newer American English version of The Passion Translation.  To my delight, I have been discovering that The Passion Translation (as well as my favorite God’s Word © version) tend to use very similar words, speech patterns and directions of thought that I do in my personal life!

In this Proverb, King Solomon seems to be centering his wisdom on the pitfalls of stubborn people, and the difficulty of arguing with fools.  In verse eighteen he teaches us saying, “When there is no clear prophetic vision, people quickly wander astray. But when you follow the revelation of the word, heaven’s bliss fills your soul.” (The Passion Translation)  The King James simply states, “Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.” 

As I did a comprehensive study into the original Hebrew meanings of many of the words used in the King James Version, I could see how the more modern translation brings out a deeper meaning for today’s reader as compared to the text that was first published in 1611, written in Elizabethan English.

The first line of the verse almost immediately sent me off into a land of fresh understanding when I thought over some of the challenges the Piper and I had to deal with amongst family and friends, especially during her journey with Alzheimer’s and also with the very current political climate in our beloved United States. 

Solomon makes it pretty clear that people without a clear vision and understanding of God’s Word are quick to run astray from His truth.  While other’s who keep a deep and active faith in His Word, can find peace and bliss even in the midst of challenging times.  The Message Paraphrase Bible is even more descriptive in modern terms stating, “If people can't see what God is doing, they stumble all over themselves; But when they attend to what he reveals, they are most blessed.”

Once again, we saw that happening with people in the three different states we lived in during that time, who tended to see the battle for Piper’s health strictly in terms of the natural realm, medical prognosis and the stamp “No Known Cure.”  While we set our faith completely in the spiritual realm where the Word of God definitively declares that, “What appears humanly impossible is more than possible with God. For God can do what man cannot.” (Luke 18:27 The Passion Translation)

Last week I had the displeasure of watching countless individuals make presentations during the DNC convention that to me, clearly demonstrated people NOT knowing the truth of God’s Word nor the reality of what they were saying, by confusing and/or ignoring facts, repeatedly turning the truth around to make it sound like someone else was responsible for things they had done and simply said… “stumbling all over themselves!”

I am pleased to report, that so far this week… that I am seeing a TOTALLY different picture being presented at the RNC convention.  Instead of FEAR, I keep hearing nothing but optimism, an understanding of the facts and can see leadership that has a good grasp on the truth that God presents in His Word concerning the many social issues facing our country today.  I can see that many of them understand our country’s problems to be more of a spiritual battle than a natural one!

As far as I understand in this life… it is just too easy to “quickly wander astray” from the Godly principles that the Creator of the universe has established in order for us to live a happy, blessed and peaceful life.  So, with that in mind, I choose LIFE!  The LIFE that the Word of God has set before me… the LIFE that I can enjoy… as long as I keep actively abreast of the truth found within the pages of HIS Holy Word!  If

I recall correctly, Psalm 1:3 declares that the individual who aligns himself with God’s Word, practices what IT preaches and stays in active faith in it… will “bear fruit in every season of life” (The Passion Translation)… whether it’s a tough season or an easy one!

What do you think about that?  What would you rather do?  Stumble about or be blessed?

Kind of a NO BRAINER don’t ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.