Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Saturday, August 29, 2020

Responsibility

responsibility

NOUN

·       The state or fact of having the duty to deal with something or having control over someone

·       The state or fact of being accountable or to blame for something

·       A thing that someone is required to do as part of a job, role, or legal obligation

 

I came across another interesting commentary on Proverbs 29:18 (see my last blog post “Stumble or Blessing 8/27/20) from the Dake Annotated Reference Bible that makes an interesting tie-in between personal RESPONSIBILITY and success in life.  In his footnote for this verse, the author writes his interpretation of this scripture as, “Where there is no vision or sense of responsibility to keep the law, the people perish for its lack of enforcement; but the one who keeps the law in such times is blessed and happy.”

That commentary gave me another “A Ha!” moment that brought some understanding to events in my recent past.  Throughout Piper’s and my final journey from 2007 to her homegoing in 2018, I was continually surprised and frustrated by people's lack of personal RESPONSIBILITY for their careless words and actions. 

When I would question them, their normal response was to laugh it off and then look at me like I was crazy for even thinking to question them.  For some unbeknownst reason, it seemed like they felt that they had the right to flutter in and out of our situation, at any time that suited them, make any comment they desired and then walk away without any sense of the impropriety of their actions and/or of the mess they left behind.

Dake’s interpretation would infer that these individual’s indifference was not so much based in their potentially negative feelings toward us, but with a resistance in taking personal RESPONSIBILITY toward the Word of God.  Once again, this helps me to understand that their actions were not so much taken against Piper and I, but in reality, as a response to their potential anger or unbelief in the Word of God… and our unwavering Faith in Him and His Word!

Likewise, I see this same lack of RESPONSIBILITY taking place every day within the realm of our current political climate here in the USA.  I am daily amazed at how some lawmakers can continually spit out accusations and words without taking any RESPONSIBILTY for the harsh results of what they are saying, and in some cases, are trying to enact into law.  A good example being the way that Democratic leadership continually ignores and/or falsely portrays the rioting, destruction and violence in many (Democratic run) cities as “peaceful protesting.”

The third dictionary definition in the title above, states that RESPONSIBILTY is something that one in leadership is required to take as a part of their job, role or legal obligation.  And in a few verses down from Proverbs 29:18, King Solomon in his wisdom, bluntly likens the individual who speaks without RESPONSIBILITY for his words to a FOOL!  He stated, “There is more hope for a stupid fool than for someone who speaks without thinking.” (Proverbs 29:20 GNB) 

There were times when I would find myself feeling embarrassed and sorry for those folks who would oftentimes say things about us to others without a thought as to the impact of their words.  I was embarrassed for them as it made them look foolish!  And it is also the way I feel about the political leaders who say similar things on national TV!  I can’t tell you the times recently when I have turned to the dog laying on the floor and say… “Did they REALLY just say that… in public?”  What’s funny is that the blank look that the dog gives me… is the same silly look on the speakers face when they make their incredibly foolish statements!

I cringe on the inside because I realize that the enemy of our souls is the one behind all those foolish and hurtful comments.  I cringe because he doesn’t care who he uses nor how much he makes THEM look like fools as they unknowingly do his bidding.  (See: John 10:10, 2Corinthians 4:4)

Proverbs 29:18 makes it pretty clear in telling us of the importance for each of us to take the personal RESPONSIBILITY necessary to KEEP the Word active and in control of our lives... and over our mouths!  Not taking personal REPONSIBILTY for ourselves can lead to very foolish outcomes!

What will you have in your life… FOOLISHNESS or HONOR, DIGNITY, RESPECT and SUCCESS?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.