Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 7, 2020

The Empty Golf Course


Both of our last two dogs loved to be out in the snow!  I can’t say the same for our first two dogs… although, to be honest, I don’t believe that they were ever in the snow, being as they lived their entire lives in northern California.  Our first sheltie was born in Sebastopol, California while our second was from Rohnert Park.  I’m not too sure where our first Aussie mix came from, although I would assume, she originated in Santa Rosa where we adopted her at the county Animal Shelter.  But Mandie, in difference to Melanie and Mollie (do you catch a pattern here?  Piper named our first three dogs and for some reason liked “M” names!), had the opportunity to live in both Oklahoma and North Carolina and ABSOLUTELY loved to frolic in the snow when she got to experience it! 

Now Fiver, on the other hand, was born and bred in snow country.  According to the Aussie Rescue organization that we got him from, he was born in West Virginia, was originally rescued in South Carolina and ended up with Piper and I in North Carolina… that dog’s been around… and now he’s in Oklahoma! 

We got a fairly decent sprinkling of snow throughout the day on Wednesday that, due to the twenty-degree weather, mostly stayed on the ground Thursday and is still making its scattered presence known today.  Fiver and I took our usual walks on Wednesday and Thursday although we had to be extra careful with our walk yesterday morning.  Traversing up the berm to the pond was quite the slippery experience as was walking up the slope to our front porch.  Fiver actually helped to pull or rather slide me up our snow-over-ice covered lawn!  There are times when having a strong, 65lb dog comes in handy!  He seemed to enjoy the walks and the moments afterwards when I grabbed a towel to dry him off and remove the ice that was packed in his paws!

This morning as we walked along the fence with the golf course, Fiver would suddenly take off with a leap and then dive down to the snow and take in a mouthful of the white powder!  At one point on our return trip, I paused while he was nosing around under the snow and took a thoughtful look at the empty golf course.  Most of the fairways were free of snow but a splattering of the white stuff still adorned many of the little mounds throughout the course.  Yesterday I watched in glee as a young Mom and her two small kids used plastic sleds to cruise down the sides of the mounds in the gold course.  I’m not too sure if they were supposed to be there or not, but it sure looked like fun!

As I looked out into the distance, I had the perspective, that the golf course looked a little lonely while it awaited for the snow and puddles to dissolve so that it could return to its designated purpose in life… and I thought… that’s kinda the way I feel right now!  The only problem is that I don’t yet seem to know what my designated purpose is in this chapter of this unexpected new season in my life.

I was praying yesterday afternoon and felt led to grab my journal and write down some of the many things that Piper was to me.  On the long list, I penned that Piper helped tremendously to keep me steady.  That she was my rock and at times helped to keep me from losing it and going bonkers!  She kept me on point, on target and focused on my responsibilities, dreams and visions.  She helped to keep me going in the good times and the bad, in the easy times and the hard ones, in the happy times as well as in the sad times… in other words, she helped to keep me at peace!  And the list went on and on!*  At one point I plopped down on the couch and thought, “That’s a lot of me that’s missing right now!”

That list came back to mind as my eyes and thoughts wondered across the silent gold course this morning.  But what also came to mind were the words of King Solomon when he wrote: “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1 KJV)  That familiar verse immediately gave me hope for a positive future as I continue to place and keep my expectations firmly implanted in His Word, His Love, His Grace and His Peace

In many respects, I am just like that golf course.  Everything is in place and I’m just waiting for His perfect timing to melt the snow and drain the puddles that have come upon me with the loss of Piper.  So, I keep praying, seeking Him and continuing on in life under His steady hand and constant presence.  How about you today?  Are you feeling a little lost or unusable?  Well, fret not as the Lord our God has you in the palm of His hand and is guiding you along His path that always leads to good things!

Have a wonderful weekend!  We’re supposed to get into the sunny fifties throughout the next two day, so I’m gonna enjoy it!  Whatever’s happening… keep your eyes on Him, hold on and don’t let go… Tell God in your prayers that… “I’m expecting His best today!”



*I don't want to infer that it was a one-sided activity, for I am sure that I performed many of those same aids for her... It's just without her, I don't think a lot about me... My focus on our life together is many times solely centered on her! (which I'm finding is normal with the loss of a loved one)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.