Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, February 21, 2020

Piper's Proverbs 1:2



Even though it wasn’t easy… I learned some lessons over the last few days as I went through boxes of “Piper’s Stuff”.  And I was reminded of one of those lessons this morning as I was about to splash on some aftershave…

With a sneaky smile, I grabbed the bottle of “JADE EAST” that was hidden behind my regular brand of cologne on the counter.  You see… Jade East was the aftershave that I wore, pretty much exclusively, when Piper and I were dating.  It was the popular brand for all the young guys like me in the 1960’s and 1970’s.  How many of you guys out there remember using it?  On a hunch a few years ago, I went online and found the company that manufactures many of the retro brands of men’s personal products.  So, I ordered a bottle to see if it would trigger any visible recognition in Piper… which it didn’t… but certainly does bring back many memories in me!

Today was one of those times.  Being of 100% Italian descent with dark, thick and wavy hair (you wouldn’t know it today!), I started shaving when I was twelve years old.  So, needless to say, I wore aftershave for a long time before meeting Piper.  This morning as I patted a little on my neck, I lifted the medallion I wear with Piper’s name on it and placed a little bit under it while I laughingly thought that it might just cause her to think about me today! 

It also caused me to remember when she and I went to the wedding of a mutual friend soon after we ourselves were married.  I had actually dated the bride for a few months before being swept off my feet by Piper!  It was this gal that told me… on the day that she broke up with me… that Piper had told her (upon hearing that the other gal was going to end it with me), to “Send him my way!”  When Piper and I went through the receiving line, the bride smiled when she saw us (we hadn’t seen her since high school) and ran her fingers through my hair exclaiming, “Jim, what happened to your wavy hair?”  To which I replied, “I guess being with Piper straightened it out!”  Piper always had that kind of effect on me!

But what I especially smiled at this morning, along with those memories, as I splashed on the Jade East, was that Piper was the one that was actually pursing me at the beginning of our relationship… and to be honest, she never stopped… nor did I toward her.

I was joking with my cousin last night about missing how Piper pursued me, watched out for me and was very protective of our relationship.  I mentioned that the only time a woman talks to me now is to tell me that I have a beautiful dog!

As I put the bottle of Jade East back down on the counter with the wash of memories that were cascading over me, I was reminded of how the Lord has been helping me to find my strength in Him during these confusing days since Piper moved on to be with the Lord.  I thought about Ephesians 6:10 where Jesus encourages us to “be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might.” (KJV)

And that was all it took to set me straight for the day!  So, I released my grip on the bottle of after shave, smiled at all the warm and happy memories and walked out into the bedroom, ready to continue on with whatever it is that He has planned for me… and I know it has to be good.  After all He gave me Piper, and He’s not about to give me – or YOU - second best now… is He?

PS:  If you missed yesterdays post about the life of Piper that I discovered while going through the boxes of her stuff… check it out here:

http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2020/02/a-life-story-told-through-boxes-of.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.