Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Yikes! That's Talking About Me!


Have you ever been convicted by your own words?  I found myself facing that conundrum just this morning!  I guess you could say that they really weren’t my words… but it was a scripture verse that I used to make a Biblical point on my new series that I posted in a few places on the web yesterday afternoon.  In my very first edition of “Piper’s Proverbs” (http://pjberruto.blogspot.com/2020/01/pipers-proverbs.html) I concluded my encouraging word with a verse from Ecclesiastes 4:6, to which the authorship of the book is usually attributed to Solomon.  Here the “Preacher” (see Ecclesiastes 1:1) declares to his readers, “One handful of peaceful repose is better than two handfuls of hard work and of trying to catch the wind.” (combination of The Message and God’s Word ©)

I tend to start my personal morning Bible study each day by reviewing the notes that I’ve accrued throughout the previous day.  Today my eyes went right to where I had written Ecclesiastes 4:6, down near the bottom of the page.  As I sort-of mumbled the verse out loud, it suddenly dawned on me that this verse is talking, in many respects, directly to me.  Yikes!  Then I heard that small-still-voice on the inside saying… “Listen and take note!”  And you know?  I didn’t have to take anytime to think about it… for I knew exactly what He was talking about.

Ever since Piper passed away a little over a year ago, I have fought the sometimes constant struggle, to keep myself busy on this project or another.  I’ve done it for a couple of reasons.  One, if I’m busy, I tend to not think about how much I still miss her, and two, if I keep busy… then I feel good about myself that day… like I’ve accomplished something.  But then, every morning and just about every night I find myself talking to God and asking… sometimes pleading“What is my purpose in life now, without Piper?”

Don’t get me wrong.  I’m not trying to elicit some self-pity from any of you, for I actually have been receiving more and more hints as well as some specific directions from the Lord in response to my questions.  Especially on Sundays!  I don’t know why, but in my private times with the Lord on Sunday’s during the last month or so, I have gotten more definitive instruction and then had it seemingly backed up by the Pastor during his sermon later in the morning.  It’s kind of like I can’t wait for Sunday mornings now!

But back to the scripture.  As I began to study out Ecclesiastes 4:6, I saw that the Lord was bluntly telling me to STOP trying to keep myself busy and in doing so, expect to find His peaceful repose in the activities of fruitless endeavors.  But instead, to relax and trust in what He has been speaking to my heart in His Word.  I was reminded of President Trump on that one… Thinking that keeping busy will heal the inner wounds is like trying to “catch the wind” and is, when one comes to think about it: “FAKE NEWS!”

Okay… so be honest with yourself now.  Have any of you ever done the same thing as me.  I must admit that one of the typical responses that bothers me the most is when I ask someone how they are doing and without a moment’s hesitation, answer… like it’s some badge of great honor, “Busy, busy, busy!”  (I think it bothers me so much, because I used to say the same thing until the Lord finally convicted me about it. – I’ve learned that we can always find time to do the things that we really want to do…)

Is being busy just an excuse to not get involved in something else?  Is it just an activity you do to hide some pain?  Or does it, like me, make you feel validated… like you’ve accomplished something?

Humm… maybe it’s time to find your peaceful repose in Him… instead of in doing things to keep yourself busy…  Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to find my self-worth and my peaceful repose in Him!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.