Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Smart vs Stupid...


I was watching the news last night where the newscaster was reporting on the situation surrounding the recent events in Iran.  After watching for a while and listening to all the different viewpoints from both the left and right, it became very apparent to me that there were two totally opposite reactions with absolutely no middle ground.  One side was thankful, confident and proud to be an American, while the other side was visibly shaken by the events, seemed to be supportive of Iran and their tactics and was almost apologetic of and embarrassed by the President’s actions taken to protect our country and our service men and women.  It was pretty obvious to me, that one side was being moved by fear while the other was at peace.

It brought back many uncomfortable memories of interactions Piper and I had to endure during our journey with her failing health.  We quickly discovered that it’s very difficult to work harmoniously with individuals who are being heavily influenced by their fearful thoughts and emotions instead of their faith.

When I turned off the TV in the living room and headed to the bedroom, it shockingly hit me that I was falling into the same trap with the decision that I had to make in the morning concerning the new carpet I was thinking about having installed next week.  My older daughter Jamie and I had gone to a local carpet dealer whose ad I kept hearing on one of the local Christian radio stations earlier in the day.  We found a carpet we liked, chose a color and arranged for the sales rep to come to my house later in the day to measure and give me a quote.

The rep came to the house on time, measured the house and let me know that he’d have the figures for me within a few hours.  Well, he was true to his word and both emailed and called me with the numbers.  The only downside was that it was more than I had budgeted for.  So, I told him that I would call him in the morning and let him know what I had decided to do.

Immediately after the call I sat down at the table and began to crunch out the numbers… and the more I concentrated on what I saw in all the paperwork before me… the more anxious, doubtful and concerned I became.  Suddenly my whole carpets, paint, move in the rest of my stuff and all the drams I had about the house began to get cloudy!  I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out a way that I could make it work… and feel good about it!  Well… it wasn't working and I went to bed with many doubtful and questioning thoughts floating between my ears.

I fell into a fretful sleep and then awoke with a start at 2:00 AM.  It was getting windy outside and I could hear it blowing things around, so I got up and looked out the windows front and back and made sure everything was still where it was supposed to be, climbed back into bed and stared at the ceiling until I couldn’t take it anymore.  I then turned on the light and read some scripture.  Once I began to get my eyes off the problem and on to the truth of the Word… my whole outlook began to shift!

When writing to the believer’s in Colossae, Paul declared that, “…Some time ago you heard about this hope (or expectation) in the Good News (the Gospel message) which is the message of truth.” (Colossians 1:5 God’s Word ©)  Thayer’s Greek Definitions defines the word “truth” as “What is true in any matter under consideration.”  Therefore… if you believe the Word of God to be truthful… like I do… then you have to concede that when push comes to shove… what the Word of God says IS the real and final truth in any matter… no matter what the physical evidence you have before you says. 

Right or Wrong? 

Like I said, for me it’s right!  But believing it doesn’t always come easy… I spent the next hour in bed in the wee hours of the morning last night building up my faith by confessing every Scripture verse that I could recall that talks about God’s faithfulness, His power working in our regard, His provision, His grace and His love for us.  Remember Hebrews 10:17 tells us that “faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”  So there again, if the Word is the truth, then that verse tells us what to do when we feel doubtful, weak, undeciding or anxious about what’s going on before our eyes.

And you know… it worked for me last night.  When I finally turned my head and snuggled into my pillow, I felt TOTALLY different than I did before I woke up.  Most of all, I had that “peace of God, which surpasses all understanding” (Philippians 4:7 EMTV), found that I was excited and hopeful about the new carpet and in the natural… had a plan to pay for the expenditure!

So, I called the sales rep this morning and sealed the deal.  I went to the store a few hours later, put down a hefty deposit and set up the install for next Wednesday… and I continue to be quite excited and at peace about it!  The Lord also told me while in prayer this morning, to only think about, pray and do ONE step at a time concerning all the plans, ideas, dreams and aspirations that I have for the new house.

So, there it is!  Once I got my eyes on the solution instead of the problem, I got His peace and began to think straight and not get mixed up and do stupid things based on my emotions!  From what I’ve seen and learned through personal experience… reacting in fear is not only dangerous but it can easily make one look like a fool!  I’ve played that role in the distant past… and I’m not about to fall into that undisciplined lifestyle again!  How about you?

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, say with me… “I am expecting to look smart by keeping my eyes on the TRUTH of God’s Word!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.