Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Friday, January 17, 2020

Daily Renewal...


I recently began re-reading a book written about the great Pentecostal evangelist Smith Wigglesworth who was one of the most influential preachers during the Pentecostal Revival at the turn of the 20th century.  This book written by William Hacking is entitled and was written from the viewpoint of personal interactions between the elder Smith and the young author.  (It was originally entitled, “Reminiscences of Smith Wigglesworth)

Smith was well known for his extraordinary healing ministry, spiritual insight, his complete dependence on the Word of God (of which the Bible is said to be the only book he ever read, having been taught to read as an adult by his wife), the practicality of the way in which he lived his faith and the unorthodox style in which he ministered to the sick.  In relating an incident while visiting the evangelist at his simple home in England, Hacking remembered Wigglesworth asking to pray when their visit came to a close and then “quite abruptly, he said, ‘Now, Brother Hacking, you will have to be away to get your bus, or else you will miss the train.’”  Hacking commented: “One minute in heaven; the next minute on earth.  Spirituality plus practicality.  Smith Wigglesworth was always a wonderful combination of the two.” *

I had to chuckle when I read that comment this morning because it reminded me of someone who was very near and dear to me… Piper!  She also lived her life with a very symbiotic and totally intertwined relationship with the spirit of God and the natural realm.  When I got to thinking about it though, I realized that I didn’t spot that phenomenon when we first met in the fall of 1969.  That was the year in school that she was alphabetically seated (Thank the Lord!) right behind me in our 11th grade English class.  During that year though, I did see that there was something special and/or different about her (in a positive way).  She just had such an uncanny spirit of joy about her.

But we didn’t spend any time alone that year (that I can remember… I’ll have to get her viewpoint when I see her again in a few years in heaven…)  We talked, and laughed a lot in class (it’s a miracle that we didn’t get in trouble!) and at weekend baseball games, trips to the beach and other such activities with the large group of friends we mutually associated with.  The real Piper began to become known to me when we started dating at the beginning of our Senior year.  I quickly realized the reason for her joyfulness.  There was so MUCH MORE to that young lady!  She was a walking, talking picture of a life happily and successfully yielded to the Lord… and she never changed!

Colossians 3:10-11 says that, “You've gotten rid of the person you used to be and the life you used to live, and you've become a new person. This new person is continually renewed in knowledge to be like its Creator.” (God’s Word ©)  I think these verses accurately describe the continual transition that occurred in Piper… and me for that matter!  I can’t recall a time during our relationship when either of us weren’t hungry for more of God and His Word!  We read it and studied it daily.  It didn’t matter what was on the schedule that day, if we were on vacation or not, or what day of the week it was.  Whether we knew it or not, according to these verses, we were continually being renewed in knowledge to be more and more like our Creator!

And we weren’t alone in this daily lifestyle.  We had (& I still have) many friends and acquaintances who lived life the same way.  YOU may be one of them!   

I have to be very honest when I say that this lifestyle saved our bacon during our life together when the hard times that come upon all of us at one time or another came to roost in our home.  There was no questionand really no other thought… but to trust in the Lord, in His Word and in His Love!  It would always tend to surprise me when some folks in our circle of family and church friends didn’t always respond like we did.  I’ve learned to have greater understanding and grace in these situations… but it still surprises me sometimes… for if you are regularly being renewed in HIS Word… then what other plausible options are there for you?  To me, that is where the practicality of one’s Christian faith comes into play.  Or like some would say… “When the rubber meets the road!”

So, have a terrific weekend.  It is cold and very wet outside here today, but will be warmer with sunny skies over the weekend!  I pray that you have a warm and SONNY weekend as well, and as you do… spend a little time expecting the best of God by continually renewing yourself in knowledge to be like YOUR Creator.”





*“Smith Wigglesworth, A Life Ablaze with the Power of God” pages 37-38, 17th printing, ©1995 by Harrison House, Inc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.