Spring 2023 has sprung in Broken Arrow, OK

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

That Much!


My wife had a favorite saying over the years whenever we would be discussing some negative interaction that I may have had at work as part of my managerial responsibilities, or when we would counsel with individuals at the church who were going through some difficult relationship issues, or even with extended family members.  Many times, she would pause for a moment of consideration and then say with almost a deep sorrow and reverence put together, “They really need to know how much God loves them.” 

Of course, at the time, I would whole-heartedly agree with her, but it was not until later on in life… during what was to become the most difficult journey in my life… that I really began to grasp the depth of what she was truly saying.

I was introduced to the God’s Word translation of the Bible through the eSword Bible Study software that I had downloaded to my computer, after hearing about it in one of my classes in Bible School.  I don’t know exactly what it is, but this translation, put out by the God’s Word to the Nations mission society in the mid-nineties, just speaks to my heart.  Over the years since I’ve been using it, I have also come to realize that it is a pretty accurate translation to the English language from the original languages of the Bible writers.

That said, the eyes and ears of my understanding of God’s love and in particular to Piper’s saying concerning that subject, were opened up one day, a year or two after returning home from Oklahoma in 2009.  At the time things were beginning to get hot and heavy with the battle of Piper’s health and I turned to one of my favorite books of the Bible for help.  And that’s when I began to study in earnest, Paul’s prayers in Ephesians 1:17-23 and 3:16-21. 

I say “began” because I have found myself repeatedly returning to those verses and in particular, the writer’s words in chapter 3 verse 19.  Here Paul prays about our increasing ability to understand the width, length, height and depth of God’s love so that:

“You will know Christ's love, which goes far beyond any knowledge. (And) I am praying this so that you may be completely filled with God.” (God’s Word ©)

I know that I am repeating myself to some of you who read my blog, but hang with me for a moment!  As I broke down the verse and studied out each word, I discovered to my amazement, that the word ”KNOW” according to Thayer’s Greek Definitions speaks of the “Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman”  In other words, it was the common term that the Jewish people used in Jesus’ time, when talking about the most intimate of actions between a husband and wife.  Paul was describing a very special, extremely close kind of love in talking about the love of Christ.

It was then that I realized the magnitude of my wife’s understanding of how much, how intimately God loved her… and each one of us as well.  It was this understanding of the deep and intimate way in which God loved Piper and I that got me up every morning when things seemed to be going from bad to worse!  It was my increased “knowing” of how much He loved us that gave me the hour by hour strength to keep up my faith in Him and His Word concerning Piper’s very life.  It was that “knowing” that helped me to love those who abandoned us in Piper’s time of need… and to this day, pray Ephesians 3:19 over them!

In 2 Corinthians 5:14 Paul wrote that it was Christ’s love that moved him to do the extreme things that he was able to do in his ministry.  It’s why he followed up that statement declaring that, “His love has the first and last word in everything we do.” (The Message)  As I read that this morning, I instantly reflected back on Ephesians 3:19 with the understanding that Paul was talking about “knowing” a higher love… an intimate love that God has for each of us!

Have you ever thought about that level of love?  Do you now have a better understanding of just how MUCH and how INITMATLY God knows and loves YOU?  When I think about that kind of love… I can’t help but KNOW that He will do for me what He says He will do in His Word… just because… because… He loves me THAT much!

Have a great rest of the week, and as you do, take a few minutes to reflect on knowing the intimacy of His love toward you and then say... “I am expecting God to do what He says He will do because He loves me intimately!”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are welcomed. Please keep them within the context and flavor of this blog.